Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to the Machine Head (5e3 version)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to the Machine Head (5e3 version)

Heres a little someting ive been working on in my spare time for the last 3 months or so. I have a lot of metal working tools at my house & a friend of mine bought a bridgeport that I can use, so I wanted to incorperate some Machine work into a chassis. Everything is 6061 t6 aluminum except the main part of the Chassis which is 3003. I went back & forth on what color to anodize it & Im glad I setteled on black & red, even though I may end up making new knobs & anodizing them red. The ones that are on there now are brass with an aluminum ring at the base, I cut the brass o.d. .003 bigger than the i.d. of an aluminum ring (interfierence fit) pressed the ring on & then cut both at the same time on a lathe. . I only used 2 inputs so I wouldnt clutter up the front of the amp, the little switch puts a 1 meg resistor in or out of the normal channel input, Sounds great & looks cool in my living room. I have a lot more pics as I was building it. Let me know what you think, I already know im nuts so you can leave that part out. . . JOE
    Resistors not Transistors !

that is a great looking amp. what does it sound like? did you build a fender or marshall clone, or is it something original?

Comment

Damn... I'd sell my ex-wife to the pygmies for access to a Bridgeport. Nice work.

Comment

Way cool, I really like "not common looks" regarding amps.
        Love, peace & loudness,
        Chris
        http://www.CMWamps.com

Comment

you know, I just noticed that it said "5e3 version" at the top... so ignore my question about what circuit you used....

Comment

mutha

Tha's a real Badeass Lookin' / Showpiece Amplifier you got yourself goin' there !
            I like to see "The mind has pressed the hand into providing outstanding service"..in an object!
            Looks like 1000+ thoughtful strokes.

Comment

Nice chassis! I made the "Toaster" in a chassis machined from 1/8" aluminium back in 1999/2000:

http://scopeboy.com/toastpix.html

It was all done with hand tools except the front panel, that I made on a small mill that a friend had in his garage. I was a milling newbie and I think the leadscrews on his mill were a bit worn out, so my vent holes ended up a bit "J-Legged"

This amp is still working fine and has been gigged quite a lot. It's a totally new design rather than a clone. I think I like it most as a bass amp using the clean channel, so one of these days I ought to make a 400 watt version called the 400 Pound Griller
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Steve,

That's the first time I'd seen chassis pictures of it - nice!

There's nothing quite like a machined chassis, IMO.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                X