Schematic for EL84's in a 5E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schematic for EL84's in a 5E3

Anyone have a schematic or layout for running EL84's in a 5E3.

Thanks
    Bruce

Double check me on this: screens pin 9 (6V6 pin 4), OT leads pin7 (6V6 pin 3), heaters pins 4 & 5 (6V6 pins 2 & 7), cathode pin 3 (pin 8), input pin 2 (pin 5).

For longer tube life keep the plate voltage at 300 V.
    Use 100 - 1000 ohm screen resistors.
    Use a 130 - 150 ohm cathode resistor.

Comment

might want to keep an eye on the current draw as the el84s will draw more amps then the 6v6s would.

Comment

EL84's in a 5E3

Thanks for the replies. I was aware of the current draw and my trannies are up to the challenge. This is just one I built to experiment with.

Bruce

Comment

With proper power tube bias (11-12 watts or less), 350vdc on the plates is OK.
          You might find that two 12AY7s work better then the standard layout.
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
            With proper power tube bias (11-12 watts or less), 350vdc on the plates is OK.
            You might find that two 12AY7s work better then the standard layout.
            Hi Bruce

Is that to do with the different transconductance of EL84s vs 6V6s? i.e.; are you meaning that the drive voltage into the output tube signal grids would be better being lowered slightly by using lower gain pre-amp tubes, in order to get a cleaner signal at the output tube plates when using EL84s and opposed to 6V6s?

Sorry for these inane questions - but I think this concept is slowly starting to sink in to my thick skull , but I just want to double-check my understanding.
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

EL84s in 5E3

I run EL84s in one of my homemade 5E3 style amps using a couple of octal to 9pin converters made out of old octal valve bases and B9A sockets. I just changed the cathode resistor on the EL84s to 150R and removed the 25u cap from the cathode of the 12AX7 to reduce the drive. It works fine. With the 25u cap removed the gain is about the same as the stock 5E3.

Comment

Working...
              X