Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5F1 my next amp

Having recentley completed a Mission 5E3, I have decided to have a go at a
    5F1 to keep it company...unfortunatley due to exchange rates US$-£ I want to source as much as possible from the UK...so any favourite dealers/suppliers..I know about Derek/watford valves...any others come to mind?
    what is the opinion about the standard 5F1 champ layout/schematic?
    any major changes you would recommend?

Thanks
    Chris

Well I guess there's not many suppliers in the UK judging by the replies
    there is however http://www.allparts.uk.com
    Looks useful....

Comment

Hi Chris

The only thing you might find once you've got it built is whether the tone is where you want it, in which case you might as well build a 5F2A (for the price of two more caps and another 1MA pot). The other thing is you'll probably find is that the first stage cathode in the 5F1 is better bypassed - You can go for whatever cap value tickles your fancy. (I actually believe LF bypassed it with a 25uF - altho it is not shown in some schematics).
      And make sure you have a stout 5W ceramic/wirewound resistor for the 6V6GT cathode resistor.
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I'm with tubeswell. I've built a 5F1, and 5F2a, and I gravitate to the 5F2a.

Comment

ok...well now your costing me money!
          Why? ....because if now have to make a 5f1 AND a 5F2a

thanks guys....

Comment

Well now you know that you want to build two amps, you can order all your parts for both amps at the same time and save on postage and packaging.

8-)
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

The great thing about these amps is they sound really good bone stock, but take mods/tweaks very readily.

My buddy wanted a 5F2a after hearing mine, and I scratched up a schematic with a whole list of mods up for him (he wanted an amp that could run a KT88). A good majority of them were employed, and I think the next time I build one, most of the mods would go into it. Not all of the mods made much of a difference, and not always for the better IMO, + the beauty to me is the simplicity of their design. Probably should say it has the soul of a 5f2a but that's about it.

Comment

Working...
              X