6L6s in Tweed Deluxe (not 6V6 swap)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6L6s in Tweed Deluxe (not 6V6 swap)

I have a request to build a 2x6L6 amp into someone's old Deluxe style cab and chassis. This will NOT be a swappable setup to use 6V6/6L6. I would prefer to use trannys that fit the Deluxe chassis, but I am willing to cut metal if it will really make a better amp. Will there be enough clearance to the speaker/cab front for bigger trasnformers?

Any suggestions, pitfalls to watchout for?
    "The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."
    - Jimi Hendrix

http://www.detempleguitars.com

Transformers will be an issue for sure. You will have to put larger transformers than what a 5E3 has plus perhaps a choke depending on your circuit and if you have an extra filter cap you may have to move them to a doghouse on the back of the chassis as well. A higher powered speaker usually means it is deeper, maybe 5 inches deep.

I'm sure you can do it but in a tweed Deluxe cab, it will be tight. You will really have to have your layout figured out ahead of time.

I think that setup would be a great amp. Kind of like the Boogie concept of high power in a small package.

Alby.

Comment

That's exactly what my Kendrick Lion VII kit is...include a switcahble cathode/fixed bias and you're all set.

I used the Mojo tweed deluxe cab and a Mojo MV-30V speaker.

Comment

Hi Sir Cuitous

I built a 5E3 for 6V6 or 6L6. You use a 5Y3 for the 6V6s and a GZ34 for the 6L6s. The PT is 325-0-325 180mA, 6.3V Ct 4A, 5V 3A. The OT is about 20-25W PP 8k - 4R, 8R 16R taps.

Don't need to adjust the (10W) 250R cathode resistor at all - just change tubes and change the speaker load to either reflect 8k for 6V6s or 4k for 6L6s
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

At some point I may want to do the switchable style, but this one will be 6L6 only. The Deluxe/Pro circuits are so similar, that I am interested mainly in the transfomer selection. I would like transformers to optimize the 6L6s, but sized to fit within the Deluxe chassis/cab. Is there such a thing?

Tubeswell, what model trannys were those?
          "The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."
          - Jimi Hendrix

Comment

The trannies in mine were custom-built jobbies

In terms of the OT, for 6L6s anything between 4k - 6k6 would be good for the primary zed. If you get one that can do a range of primary zeds, (3k3, 5k, 6k6) that will add more tonal options.

In terms of the PT, any HT winding above about 150mA should cover it for the whole amp.

6L6s use 900mA of heater current each, so two of those and a couple of 12A_7 preamp tubes adds up to 2.4A, so anything above that will cover it for the heater.

What's more, if you use a 3A rating for the 5V rectifier winding, you have the whole gamut of rectifier tubes to experiment with
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Take a look at the transformers Allen Amplification sells. Model TP40D is the upgrade power transformer for a Deluxe. I think the T30D will work for an output. I have the T30D in a Princeton Reverb chassis running 2 5881's at about 25-30 watts.

Kevin

Comment

Kevin thanks for the tip. That just might be the power transformer for this project. I'm making a purchase tomorrow which leaves me limited time to look around, but I believe that Allen PT looks like a good choice.

As for the OT, I think I want to go with something a notch higher than the T30D.
                - Jimi Hendrix

Comment

You should be able to use the trannies you have,with just a bias adjustment.I would try it first and see if you like it.I just did the same thing to my sons 5E3ish build and just needed a slight bias adjustment.Sounds fine.I could actually put the 6V6's back and not even adjust the bias and it will be okay.

Comment

stokes, thanks but all I had was the cabinet and speaker. After some additional searching around I did get the Allen transformers, the TP40D for the power and the TO35MT for the output. The TO35MT is 2 9/16" high, so it fits nicely in this project, but it will require a slightly wider hole spacing to mount.

The PT is big and heavy. It does bolt into the cutout in the Deluxe chassis, but it weighs a lot. I saw something on Mission Amps website that looked like an extra bracket. Has anyone had experience with very heavy trannys in a Deluxe chassis or had to use extra support?
                    - Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                    X