No announcement yet.

What to build with a Hammond 1750J OT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to build with a Hammond 1750J OT?

My first post...

I've got this never-used Hammond 1750J OT (4000 ohms primary, 4 ohms secondary, rated for 35 W) here, and want to build something with it; my building experience is relatively limited (built a JTM45 clone from a Weber kit, did a few minor mods to other amps - like adding a master volume, etc.), so it has to be something simple; and it would be nice if it was soemthing relatively small, since I want to use a combo cab (& 8 ohms speaker) I already have... Tonally, something with a gritty, but still semi-clean tone would be great, at volume levels above "practice"/"bedroom", but not necessarily at the the volume level of a full band with a hard hitting drummer - I've got other amps for that).

Here are some ideas:

-) Use it for a 5E3 - 4000/4 ohms should work with 2x 6V6, if I use an 8 ohms speaker, right? And the beefier OT might give a bit more headroom which would be a plus in my case... If I use a beefier PT as well, I might even try using that 5E3 with 6L6s instead of 6V6s...

-) Or go straight for something simple with 2x 6L6 - like a 5E5, 5E5A, or following Weber's 5E3P Proluxe schematic. But I want to use the 8 ohms speaker I already have in that combo cab, and that would be a mismatch with 2x 6L6 and a 4000/4ohms OT, right? Would that be a big problem?

You could use the 8 ohm speaker on the 4 ohm secondary, then the primary would be seeing 8K ohms. 6V6 or 6L6 would run on that. Your just not going to be as linear or have as much power output.
    Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

well its designed for a Fender Pro-Reverb, Tremolux or Vibrolux

Comment

Originally posted by RomanS View Post
        Tonally, something with a gritty, but still semi-clean tone would be great, at volume levels above "practice"/"bedroom"
        That would be the 6G3 IMHO especially with the beefier OT you can expect enough headroom. The tone is somewhat clean up to a certain amount on the dial. Over 5 it starts to overdrive in a very pleasant way without getting much louder - at least with the 25w OT. One of my favorites since I've built it.
        Some soundclips here: Deluxe 6G3

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Comment

Hmm, got an idea: I could build a 5E5, but use 6V6 tubes instead of 6L6 - that way, if used with an 8 ohms speaker, that 4000 / 4 ohms OT should work; I'm wondering whether a 5E5 would be a bit cleaner than a 5E3...?

Guess I'm gonna start a new thread about that!

Comment

Working...
            X