Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stancor output trans...any knowledge of this unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stancor output trans...any knowledge of this unit?

Hi all,
    For my 5E3 build I've got two options, and I'm thinking that maybe instead of an old Wurlitzer organ OT that I've got (set up for 8ohm output, 2x 6V6 tubes) maybe I should use a NOS Stancor OT that I've got. Model number is A-3801. It's 6600 primary to 500/250/15/8/4 ohm output, 150mA max input, 35 watts out. It's brand new, and I got it from the lab at LSSU when I graduated. They were cleaning out their old stuff and I got a ton of great things...but does anybody have any experience with Stancors?
    If it were you, would you use the organ OT or the Stancor? Why? Discuss?
    Thermionic vacuum devices rule.

Hard to say.
    Once you've built the "rest" of the amp around the OT you could "clip in" (I don't really mean "clip") both OTs and see what you like more.
    Generally I'd assume that the beefier 35w OT (for 6L6 tubes?) in this amp wouldn't nail the genuine 50s sound as the wurlitzer OT would.

Comment

nice find on the stancor, only found these in 1962 catalog....this guy favors a Hammond 1750M, 4,200 C.T
      Twin Tweed Deluxe (5E3x2)

both of your trannys are best for PP 6v6...

Comment

Well...I've got bad news, and GREAT news.

That OT isn't ideal for a 5E3 if only because it's a Hi Fi unit rated at 35 watts and part of the 5E3 sound is about a small degree of OT saturation. You'll never get there with that OT. That isn't to say it won't "work". It will. But any OD tone won't be tempered by the OT saturating and naturally rolling off the uglies. Whatever the tubes say, that OT will repeat.

The GREAT news is that you have an EXTREAMLY collectible transformer. The Stancor A-3801 is the only OT ever identified as having been used in the Trainwreck Express amps built by Ken Fischer. He did use other OT's, Pacific and possibly Heyboer, but they are as yet unidentified. Your A-3801 is the only positively identifiable model to have been used in those amps.

If I were you I would either build an excact TW Express clone with it and sell the thing for major coin. Paul Ruby has a good TW clone rep. You could have him build it around your OT and then sell it. Or go to "The Gear Page" and sell the OT by itself to the TW nuts over there. Or if your into it build a TW Express for yourself. You might be surprised at how much a good TW clone WITH THE EXCACT RIGHT OT could fetch.

Point is, that OT occupies a niche. NO KIDDING HERE. If you know about the TW Express and it's cult following, rarity and multi tens of thousands resale value you won't just blithely stick that OT in your 5E3 build. Those OT's are impossible to find. If you bide your time and find the right market you could probably buy two or three complete 5E3 chassis kits for what you could get for that OT. I personally think it would be most valuable in a good clone. To use it otherwise and have it float away into obscurity would seem an awful waste of opportunity.

Good luck

Chuck
        Last edited by Chuck H; 05-12-2009, 07:08 AM.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

THANK YOU CHUCKH!!!
          This blows my mind, and dig this...it is in the original box, in genuinely NOS condition. Primo condition; the only niggle would be that the little plastic label fell off, but I think I taped it back with Scotch magic tape. The box itself is in great shape, too. I've been holding onto this since 1997 when I rescued it from being thrown out with the trash when they were cleaning out the electronics lab at the university.
          So you think it might be most valuable in an Express clone, huh? The thing has been out of the box twice since I've owned it. Maybe it would be real valuable as is...What do you think? I'm afraid that if I build a TW clone I might never want to part with it!

Comment

As for selling it in the box, go ask the guys at "the gear page" what they think it's worth. don't tell them it's a rescue or behave as if you didn't know what it was. Just tell 'em 'I've got a Stancor A-3801. What do you figure I might get for it?' You'll surely get some of the usual "send it to me and I'll give you the $50.00 back that YOU paid, heh heh." but you should get some good info too.

As I said, you may have to search for the right market. Or build the right market. Thing is these are so rare now that you may never see another one. I looked for awhile to get one and have it reverse engineered. I couldn't find one. Well, I did find one but it was in very poor shape and sold for way too much. If you put it on EBAY with the moniker "THE SAME OT USED IN THE ORIGINAL TRAINWRECK EXPRESS AMP" and "JUST LIKE KEN USED" and "TURN YOUR CLONE INTO A REAL WRECK" and a bunch of stuff like that... You get the idea.

Chuck

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

OOOh, that's the "Amp Garage" where all the Trainwreck nuts hang and not "The Gear Page". Look for prospects at the "Amp Garage".

Chuck

Comment

FWIW I just saw a Stancor A-3801 sell on Ebay for $177.00. But the ad only said "Stancor output transformer" and there was no mention or knowledge of the unit by the seller. Thats real high for an OT but...

I still thought that was low anyway. I think if you put yours up on Ebay and included Trainwreck info you could do much better. Like I said before... "THE SAME OT USED IN THE ORIGINAL TRAINWRECK EXPRESS AMPS" and "JUST LIKE KEN USED" and "TURN YOUR CLONE INTO A REAL WRECK" but also include "THIS MAY BE THE LAST ONE YOU"LL EVER SEE"

Chuck

Comment

I saw that one too...I agree that he didn't advertise it well! I am going to hang on to it for a little while longer, in hopes that the economy will recover a bit before I have to sell it. I resisted the temptation to build it into my 5E3 (which came out sounding great with the Wurlitzer organ donor OT).
                  I imagine that to the right individual that would sell for twice what its brother did.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X