Best 5e3 Hammond PT available.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 5e3 Hammond PT available.

I know hammond makes the 290 drop in replacement but Bruces MA20 at mission amps seems a little closer to the 273 CZ. I plan on building a 5e3 into a head design so the way the transformer mounts doesnt really matter. Im just looking for peoples opinions here for a stock 5e3 build.

Cheers
    Last edited by ncusack; 06-01-2009, 08:05 PM. Reason: No ?

ncusack,
    I used a 272DX in a 5E3 head build recently, and it works very well. I ended up with 365V on the plates of the 6V6s with a NOS 5Y3 recto. This model is a vertical mount so you can use a smaller size chassis if you want. Rob

Comment

Thanks Rocketrob,

Was yours just a stock build like the original 5e3 circuit or did you make any changes in there that might lead me astray? Ie power caps or anything like that.

Comment

ncusack,
        I used stock values though out the circuit except for the coupling caps (normal channel .047, bright channel .022, and .047 for both caps in the PI.) and the OT, which is a Hammond 1608. Here is a link to a thread about my 5E3 head. Rob.
        http://music-electronics-forum.com/t12445/

Comment

I used a set from Triode Electronics on mine. They work fine and the amp sounds awesome. They are made in the USA, too.

Tweed Deluxe Power Transformer
          Deluxe Output Transformer TF110-48/UL 6600CT 4/8 ohm
          In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by cminor9 View Post
            I used a set from Triode Electronics on mine. They work fine and the amp sounds awesome. They are made in the USA, too.

Tweed Deluxe Power Transformer
            Deluxe Output Transformer TF110-48/UL 6600CT 4/8 ohm
            those dont have the right turn ratio for a 5e3. what were you thinking!!!! just think of the magical tone you could have gotten but you didnt.

...my 5e3ish amp uses the same ot and i'm happy

Comment

yep, I'm just a Philistine...with a rockin 5E3! Is it really the wrong ratio, though? I wonder how the "right" one would sound. Well, not enough to remove the one I already have, mind you.

One thing, though...those UL taps are good for one thing on a 5E3: taping up into a big ball. I mean, UL taps for a 5E3? Really? Why?
              In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by cminor9 View Post
                yep, I'm just a Philistine...with a rockin 5E3! Is it really the wrong ratio, though? I wonder how the "right" one would sound. Well, not enough to remove the one I already have, mind you.

One thing, though...those UL taps are good for one thing on a 5E3: taping up into a big ball. I mean, UL taps for a 5E3? Really? Why?

free wire!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X