No announcement yet.

5e3 build problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know thanks loudthud, the power was on but I didnt think whether it mattered or not at the time to have the tubes in place(the results i previously posted had no tubes in place). So I tried again this morning with much better results. I took two sets of readings; the the voltages of all the pins you said and the three filter caps with just the rectifier tube in place, and a second set with all of the tubes installed. I hope these are much more useful!

All measurements in V DC

thanks, tris
    Last edited by classyelf; 06-08-2009, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Those voltages all look good enough for the amp to be operating. There must be a wiring error or broken wire in the signal path. Use your meter's ohm function to check continunity of the wires from the input jacks to the board, from the board to the tubes and the wires to and from the pots. And check those wires on the back side of the board from the turrets on the top of the board.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Check your heater wiring too. Have you got pins 4 & 5 connected together on each of your pre-amp tube sockets? (This is necessary for 6V heater operation on all triodes)
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

It works! it really works!!!, but its 11.30 at night here and everyone's in bed!!! so i cant play it very loud at all but its sure does go loud! sounds nice, cant wait to crank it up in the morning for some neill young tones! I'll post a video to show you guys the result.

I was re-checking the wiring as you guys recommended and it turned out to be one measely little wire I missed on the underside of the circuit board, thought I'd triplechecked everypart with the continuity tester, I'm such a numpty.

Thank you so much guys you're all absolute legends, you didnt have to help me out but you worked through all my problems with the amp n sorted it out particularly Loudthud. Could not of completed without you guys. thanks again, tris

Comment

So, what do you think about it now you've been able to crank it??

One of those teeny wires had me scraching my head as well with my first build...after awhile you just modify your troubleshooting to include things like that!

Comment

He probably can't put his guitar down long enough to type a response until after the rest of the house goes to sleep tonite.
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Was it that wire under the baord connected to that big 1m resistor inbetween the last blue filter cap and the first orange coupling cap?

Just curious...

Congrats! Now enjoy it!
                Mandopicker

Comment

Working...
                X