5F6A with Trem and verb experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5F6A with Trem and verb experiment

The schemes and ideas came from this thread (which has gotten too long to add new stuff to easily).

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t12061/

I eventually settled on version 12 something-or-other, and started work on the chassis a few weeks ago and yesterday did some more (fitted up the iron and made the main filter board & dog house) and today the weather looks suitable to do some more (- whatever the weather ).

Chassis is 65 cm long (and will have 11 knobs and 6 pre-amp tubes). Its another combo, this time with 2 x 25W greenbacks - more like a JTM45/bluesbreaker than a tweed bassman - but they're all just tweed bassmen right?. (zhyla has inspired me to try a different finish on the chassis, so I got some lazertran and enamel paint, and I'm experimenting with different finishes on some off-cuts of ally - more on that as time passes)
    Attached Files
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Cab started

75cm wide 50cm high 23 cm deep - but the same 'ole white pine. The new 'innervation' for me is a 3/4" slant on the front (I try to make at least one little improvement with each amp ). This is going to seriously cramp up my amp cupboard (my stuff is already overflowing into the hallway)
    Attached Files

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Man, that all looks great. Can hardly wait to see more. Should I wish for bad weather?

Comment

routing finished on cab

ready to make the baffle (front fitting baffle)
        Attached Files

Comment

looking good. curious how it will sound with the greenbacks in an openback cab.

Comment

I'm using a fairly beefy Pt and OT and a mixture of mustard caps and orange drops for the coupling caps, so I'm guessing it will sound something like a JTM45/bluesbreaker-cum-tweed bassman (with a deepish 'verb and bias-vary trem) if that ain't too much of a bastard - but my guess could be wrong

I put a 20W greenback in an open back combo (5G9) I built last year and it smokes
            Last edited by tubeswell; 06-09-2009, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Progress update

Got the main board made and fitted (including the mounting board for the bias trimpot. Just the socket mounting to come and a few more holes, then I'll take it all apart and finish the chassis (somehow - haven't decided whether to go for a polished natural metal look this time, or a painted decal 'd look)

Also wired in the filter board, and cut some carry-handles in the cab sides for lugability
              Attached Files
              Last edited by tubeswell; 06-17-2009, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Baffle

Got the baffle (3/4" ply) done yesterday (bar covering). I didn't know how far apart to put the greenbacks, so the holes ended up 3.25" apart (so the speaker centres are 14.25" apart) - WTF.
                Attached Files

Comment

Woah, thats a big cabinet. Even for a 2x12. Should sound big too though. Serious eye candy. How do you plan to finish? Natural, tweed or tolex?

And how are you coupling the verb into the circuit???

Chuck
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    How do you plan to finish? Natural, tweed or tolex?

And how are you coupling the verb into the circuit???

Chuck
                    Hi Chuck

I've got heaps of black & white gingham tweed from previous builds

As far as the verb goes, see the version 12 schematic in that thread at the beginning

Comment

moving along

Got the cab covered and the G12s on board

Did most of the main board this avo
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks veeeery tidy. Great work.
                        Maybe in a couple decades when people talk about these amps of yours they'll refer to the gingham tweed era.

Comment

well done!

very nice build, I like it.
                          It seems my amp brother :-)

What kind of material did you use for the eyelet board?

Thank you,
                          Vincenzo
                          Attached Files
                          Happy to share

Comment

Originally posted by vince76 View Post
                            What kind of material did you use for the eyelet board?
                            Hi Vincenzo

I use 3mm electrical switchboard from an electrician supply wholesaler, and 4mm brass eyelets. The stuff is rated for mega-volts so its ideal.

Comment

Squeakin' on

Sockets in and heaters 90% wired in. The durafilm will come off after I've finished the engraving.

5A enough for the heaters ya'll reckon? (including the lamp)

Decided to do away with a standby switch this time - using the extra real estate for an HT fuse (beside the Mains fuse)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X