speaker for Pro5E5 new build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speaker for Pro5E5 new build

I am wanting an edgy rockabilly clean tone when played at medium volume.Buddy Holly always comes to mind.I have a 15" cabinet but no speaker.I don't want to buy a vintage speaker sight unseen or heard.Does the Jensen P15N reissue come close.I have heard many say no.The Weber 15A150-0 is my choice at the moment unless I should consider something in additon. thanks, Mark

What I would do...

If you want a speaker that will stay clean and crispy past where you get into power amp distortion, try a JBL d130F or a Weber California ceramic with the aluminum dome. Nice bright sound. The only distortion you will hear will be from your amp, no speaker break up at 5E5 power levels.

I would also check with C. J. at Weber, or Ted Weber. Their advice has been good for me.

Comment

thanks for the good information.I want this amp to stay clean and edgy as you say.The folks at Weber said the 15A150-0 has great edge if you dont play at higher volume, i.e. its a early breakup speaker.The speakers you describe sounds more what I am looking for. Mark,

Comment

I'm using a weber Cali 15" with paper dome in a Sewell Wampus Cat (very much inspired by the tweed pro.) Did not expect to like this speaker, but it is growing on me. Matches up very well with the compression rich nature of the amp. It's not ice picky or sterile sounding either. I'll soon be trying out a weber 15F150 in that amp. That's one of the best speakers I ever heard in a tweed. It too will be on the clean side next to alnicos, but with a considerable dose of warmth too. You gotta love these weber speakers.

Comment

I just ordered a Weber 15A150 30 watt yesterday.They suggested this or the 15F150 if I wanted a later breakup speaker.There is agreement they make a very good product.

Comment

I have the Weber alnico 30 watt 15A150 15" speaker installed in my Pro5E5 replica.With both volumes set on 7 and tone about 12 I get the tone I was looking for, which when strumming hard is a biting tone with very slight breakup.Reminds me of early Buddy Holly records.I would call it a slight amount of jangle, but maybe experts would disagree with that.I play a single coil Strat on middle only pickup or bridge only pickup and this new speaker delivers exactly what I want with that set up.Musical, biting but not harsh or shrill.This is a rhythm guitar setting which is what I focused on.

Comment

Weber Rules

Ted made me a 15F150 with a british cone and an 80 ounce magnet for my
              5E5...............SWEET !

JJ

Comment

15" for Tweed Pro

give Eminence Legend 1518 15" guitar speaker a try highly recommended by
                the ToneQuest guys.

Comment

+1 on slobluess recco. I often play a Vicky Victorilux 1x15 with that speaker. It's really good, perfect in that amp. In part because of how good that one sounds, I tried out an Emi Big Ben in the Sewell Wampus Cat. It instantly became my favorite. Have one now in an Ampeg Gemini II as well. It's probably the loudest of the 15s, with a throaty tone.

Comment

Really? Eminence? I always thought they were kind of a low budget speaker manufacturer. Did I have that wrong? Are Eminence speakers really that good?
                    In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

cminor: It's a matter of taste I guess, but Emi is putting out some excellent speakers -- a big range of different models too. Aside from the Big Ben, my favorites from their latest offerings are the 12" Cannabis Rexes (helpcone technology licensed from the company that makes Tone Tubbies) and the 10" copperhead. I'm partial to various Weber speakers and old Jensens too. Tonewise, the new Emi stuff is right up there with the best IMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X