Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 Build - low output

Hi All,
    I purchased and built a 5e3 kit from Triode Electronics. Just fired it up and, although it sounded good, it was not very loud at all. I have a 5 watt Epi Valve Jr head into a 2x12 cab that gets WAY louder. I have the amp all the way up and you can comfortable talk over it. I am using the 8 ohm tap from the OT into a Celestion v12-60. I have those speakers in my 2x12 cab and they work fine with the 5 watt Epi. I tested the amp with another speaker, same result. I notice a slight hum when the volume is up and if I touch the faceplate it goes away. First thing I want to do is go back and check all my solder joints and re-solidify the grounds. I went over all the wiring and I'm pretty sure it's good, but can't hurt to look again.... This is the layout from the kit. http://site.triodestore.com/5E3_Layout_Diagram.bmp . Any other suggestions?

When the volume control is all the way up is the sound distorted or clean? Do you have a volt meter or DVM? As you are checking over the wiring be sure to look for any bare wires touching the chassis that shouldn't be or extra blobs of solder.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

5E3 Build - low output

When the volume control is all the way up the sound is distorted. I do have a couple if multi-meters, I have built several stereo tube kits and restored a few old Heathkits, this is my first guitar amp. The only 'instructions' received was the 1 page layout that I posted the link to earlier. I don't know what the voltage readings are supposed to be at the tube sockets. Do you know where I might find that information? Thanks for the help!

Comment

B+ anything from 350-370. 6V6s anything from 340V to 365V or so on each plate and about 50V less on each screen, about 20V +/- 2V on each cathode

PI plate - about 3/4 of HT at that point, cathode about 1/4 of HT at that point

PI Driver plate about 200 or so, cathode about 1.5-2V

V1 Plates between 100V to 180V depending on whether you use a 12AY7 or a 12AX7 , cathodes about 1.5V
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

5E3 Build - low output

I found the problem - a stupid mistake.... I did some continuity tests to double check the wiring on the underside of the board before pulling it and found that I forgot the jumper between the .022 cap and the 1 Meg resistor... she's loud now! Sounds very sweet. I'm going to let the circuit warm up for an hour or so and then run it through some paces. Thanks for your helpful attention and posts! I appreciate the replies!

Thanks again guys!
          Randy

Comment

Working...
          X