Aluminum chassis finishing options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum chassis finishing options

Im at the point now in my 5f2 build where I need to apply some kind of finish to my aluminum chassis. I have gone over it with 0000 steel wool to even out the scratches and remove little burrs and such. However, it still looks just a tad bland. Making the chassis face shine is a new concept to me. Any simple suggestions would be great

Try polishing it with cutting compound, the stuff you use on old car paint.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Buffing Polishing Supplies Buffing Wheels Compound Polishing Aluminum Polishing Kit - Caswell Inc.

there are forums here for all your polishing/ home plating issues.

I've polished TONS of aluminum parts on my chopper and these guys really know thier stuff

Ray

Comment

you can always call your local auto parts store and get a polish- I have a mother's or meguiar's product that works really well. Some wool or cotton discs and a die grinder would be a big help too!

jamie

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks for the input!

Comment

alright, so what are you gonna do once you get that thing all polished up?
            In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Well the chassis is basically ready for final assembly. Minus the finish, the chassis is prepped and punched and the turret board is loaded. I just purchased some Mothers aluminum polish, and once applied I will mount everything to the chassis, throw my 10" Fender 30W Alnico Blue Frame into my Weber custom cab (5F2 style w/ brown bootleather and wheat grille cloth), and relish in what should be a very successful project. This would be my first COMPLETE build, so I might have to post some pics of it

Comment

Hi there EETStudent

Polishing aluminium is not necessarily easy. You will manage better if you have a decent-sized buffer wheel on a bench grinder type machine mounted firmly on a solid workbench. You should also work with safety goggles and read some tips about using a polisher. You also need to make sure you apply the right type of compound and use it sparingly. Don't be disappointed if it takes you a while to get the hang of it.

The first time I did it I surprised myself by using too much compound and on one of those tiny little polishing kits things that mount on the end of a power drill. I ended up with half-rubbed in horrible black gook everywhere that took hours to buff away. Happy polishing
                Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by EETStudent View Post
                  Im at the point now in my 5f2 build where I need to apply some kind of finish to my aluminum chassis. I have gone over it with 0000 steel wool to even out the scratches and remove little burrs and such. However, it still looks just a tad bland. Making the chassis face shine is a new concept to me. Any simple suggestions would be great
                  Sandpaper the front panel with 220 grit on a sanding block only in one direction (horizontal) until there are no scratches left, clean with alcohol or thinners to remove all powdery residue, spray with clear acrylic.
                  This looks like brushed aluminium.

Comment

Originally posted by unparalleled View Post
                    Sandpaper the front panel with 220 grit on a sanding block only in one direction (horizontal) until there are no scratches left, clean with alcohol or thinners to remove all powdery residue, spray with clear acrylic.
                    This looks like brushed aluminium.
                    I second this process. If a sealer is not applied the aluminum will age to a dull and fuzzy finish. It doesn't seem practical to keep applying polish after the amp is built. You could hava a commercial finish such as anodizing done but that's an outside process that you will need to pay for and you didn't ask about that route.

Do you plan any letting on the front panel? You could make a removable front panel a la later Fender style and then have the option of finishing the panel separately from the chassis. It's a lot easier than working directly on the chassis. I've made brushed aluminum panels as described by unparalleled and used rub on letters under the acrylic. I have some panels that have survived since the 60's and still look good. Just an idea.
                    Regards,
                    Tom

Regards,
                    Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X