More Power!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Power!

I'm being commissioned to build a couple of 5E3 amps for my brothers band. The standard 5E3 doesn't have enough power for their band. I'm looking at building a couple of kits with either four 6V6's or a pair of 6L6's.

Any pro's/con's to either config?

More power needed

If it were me, I would go for the 6l6's. That's 2 fewer tubes to mess around with. More tubes = more tubes to buy = more tubes that will eventually act up = more heat to mess up every thing else in the amp.

Comment

agree from the maintenance standpoint, but 6L6s and 6V6s don't sound the same in these amps.

Comment

Originally posted by TD_Madden View Post
        agree from the maintenance standpoint, but 6L6s and 6V6s don't sound the same in these amps.
        You are absolutely right. I think I was personalizing a little. I just built a Mission 5E3, and they have options / mods to use 6L6's on the same chassis.

Comment

I'm on the fence. I like simplicity of less tubes, but I don't know if a 6l6 config will change the character of this amp to the point where it is no longer a 5E3.

Decisions, decisions.

Comment

Well, bumping up the output (doubling, right?) means it's not exactly a 5E3 any more. It's really a decision for your client in my view. There are cost issues they will have to live with, too. 4 x 6v6 is going to sound more like a 5e3 than 2 x 6l6, I think.

Comment

yes, I agree on that point. A "double Deluxe" should still sound like a Deluxe. Weber has such a kit.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

more power rply

I built a tweed deluxe using merc mag trannys, eventually I did a 6L6 mod plus defart mod with the help of the great people on old 5e3 forum. I used the MM tweed deluxe PT and the MM tweed deluxe OT. It sounded great but still needed alittle more headroom and power so I just put in a MM tweed super OT and man did it come alive. I will still mic my amp like I always do for live gigs (just for fullness using a shure 58). I still have that great deluxe overdrive but now have more power and headroom. Probably kinda like the double deluxe some folks talk about. The only problem I know I have is the lower b+ voltages on the PT using the tweed super OT but haven't had a problem yet. I am also using the Tone Tubby H1E hempcone alnico 12" speaker. I will never use any other speaker unless Tone Tubby comes up with something better (tried JBL "nice", original jensens ect). take care and goodluck jamie

Comment

Headroom isn't the issue. They have a hard hitting drummer (one of my brothers - the other plays guitar, and his wife is the bass player). My brothers have been playing together for decadeds, so getting a new, softer hitting drummer is not really an option.

I dunno know. I have a feeling that the Deluxe will just be a recording amp, which is fine by me. I'd prefer to stick to a circuit that I at least partially understand.

Comment

Working...
                    X