Has anyone built a 5B2 Princeton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone built a 5B2 Princeton?

I've seen a few 5C2 builds, but no B builds. A friend has a 5B3 Deluxe, and it's easily one of the finest sounding amps I've heard. Comparing the B to the C shows some pretty big differences, like the tone control between the second preamp triode and the power tube, where the C has it between the preamp triodes. I'm considering trying it, since the 6SL7 metal can tubes are at least still available. Maybe there's some magic in those old early designs? Or not, I guess I'll find out!

5B2

I am rebuilding a Vega of Boston. The circuit is almost identical to the Fender Princeton 5B2. Biggest difference is the multiple cap can which contains 3-20uf 525V caps instead of the 3-8uF 450V caps in the Princeton. I just bought the new caps, another 5Y3 and 6SL7. I already have the original tubes. This is 1959 vintage. It was my first amp. It did sound good driven by my 1959 Harmony Rocket III semi and later my 1963 Jaguar back in the old days. I retired it to a Silvertone 1484 twin-twelve. I'd like to hear how you make out with the project. I'll post my results also.
    Good Luck!

Comment

i am currently in the process of building a "5c3" clone with 6sl7's instead of 6sc7's.

from the looks, the only circuit differences are:

5c3 coupling caps = .1 - 200
      5b3 coupling caps = .05 - 600

5c3 input resistors = 75k ohms
      5b3 input resistors = 50k ohms

i think i may add a switch to my build to select one or the other to see how the thing sounds when i get finished with it.

Comment

Working...
      X