Kit Arrived - Chassis feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit Arrived - Chassis feature

My 5e3 kit arrived. I checked the BOM to make sure everything arrived and started preparing for the build.

I noticed that the chassis has a copper grounding post welded on the inside about 1 inch about the middle of the hole cut for PT (on the side where the caps and resistor eyelet board is mounted. I have been looking at other tweed builders pictures and have not seen this before. Anyway, it looks like an alternative to grounding using one of the transformer mounting bolts.

Of course, this is my first build... Anyone seen this before?
    I am learning. My posts should not be considered as expert advice or suggestions for you to implement... on the contrary, I am looking for expert advice!

Modern safety rules dictate that atleast the power line safety ground gets it's own screw to the chassis where nothing else is connected. Another rule says you can't allow the power cord strain relief to twist. Is the hole for you power code round or is it a hole with two flat sides?
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

The power cord hole in the chassis is round... but the actual strain relief I relieved has flat sides.

Must be a quality control problem or oversight on the part of the chassis manufacturer.
      I am learning. My posts should not be considered as expert advice or suggestions for you to implement... on the contrary, I am looking for expert advice!

Comment

The original examples I've seen all had round holes. I'm not sure if rubber grommets were ever used. My 59 tweed has a Heyco type strain relief.
        WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
        REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

For strain relief, I use those little plastic P-Clamps that are one size 'undersized' for the mains cord. That was it tightens real good. (Sheesh - Does that sound real bad or what? )
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I saw at least one kit that use a P-Clamp in addition to a strain relief. I suppose to minimize the chance of twisting the cord.

I saw where on builder replaced the plastic strain relief insert with what looked like a 3/8" Romex (house electrical wire) clamp style box connector. That would prevent the cord from twisting.

Comment

Working...
            X