Rectifier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rectifier?

Hi guys,can anyone tell me if I can replace my 5Y3 rectifier with a GZ34 in my 5e3 tweed?

Chuck.

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass
    My tube charts show them as equivilant replacements.
    ??? As as substitute? Quite a bit less voltage drop in the GZ34. (Among other differences)
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for your reply.So would it be a good idea to try it? I wouldn't want to damage the amp in any way. It's just that the 5y3 is bad and I have a GZ34 on hand.If it's going to cause me any problems then I'll just get another 5y3.

Chuck.

Comment

You might get another 50V-60V at the B+ (on top of what you had with the 5Y3G) with a GZ34, depending on your reservoir capacitance. The GZ34 can take up to 60uF, whereas the 5Y3 typically runs into 16-20uF in a 5E3.

This will give you more headroom as long as your 6V6s are up to it. (JJ6V6S probably would be)
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

It would be a good idea to go up on the value of the 6V6 cathode resistor to 330-390ohms, watch voltages do not exceed cap ratings. 380-385vdc is about as much as you want on the 6V6 plates with the stock 250/270ohm cathode resistor.

Comment

Working...
          X