5E3 & Shinrock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 & Shinrock

Starting up a 5e3 here .. I have a German Shinrock set of Marshall 18-watt ot & pt i'd like to use in this project. More info on these here:
    PT: http://www.shinrock.com/index.php?smt-m18r_240
    OT: http://www.shinrock.com/index.php?sot-m18r

My question is you think I should go straight to ss rectifier or try out the a 5V4 or even a 5Y3 for decent b+ voltage.
    Anything else I should consider with these trannys?

Great, thanks
    T-roy

I would go for the 5V4 rectifier.It will give a little stiffer power supply than the 5Y3.For the OT I would check each secondary connection to my speaker to see which gives the biggest,clean output.I do this by putting a 1k@ .25v signal into the amp and connect the output to a dummy load connected to my scope.Ideally you would want to use the 16ohm tap since you will be using the entire secondary,but since the tranny's primary is wound for EL84's,which are close enough to a 6V6,this may or may not require a 16ohm speaker.You can experiment with different speaker loads or secondary taps to find the optimum output.

Comment

SS diode rectifier for this PT is probably going to give you too high of a B+ for a normal 5E3.
      What is your line voltage and what is the Hi-V current rating of the PT?
      You might find a 5V4GA is fine but most PT's secondary voltages are rated at a certain current draw so a 90-100ma PT might give an actual "under load" B+ of something way lower then say a 150ma PT with the same rectifier.
      Other then that, the PT is starting off with a Hi-V secondary output about 30-50 AC volts lower then a normal 6V6 PT.
      If you are using 240vac mains, you might be able to run the 240vac on the 230vac primary tap, boost the secondary voltage and use a normal 5Y3GT.

The OT should be great as is and I don't see any reason not to use it.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks guys,
        it's gonna be 230 vac mains so i don't think boosting by running on the 200 vac primary tap is an option. The Hi-V rating should be either 120 mA or 150 mA. It seems that I should go with the 5V4 anyways.

Comment

Ok, just got confirmed that the Hi-V current rating for the Shinrock PT is 110 mA.

Comment

Working...
          X