Is this too radical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this too radical?

With proper xformers to support it, a 5E3 circuit with a pair of 6550s cathode biased. Maybe in a 5F4 cab with 1x12"

I'm looking to build something a little different, as you might guess

How about a 5F1 or a 5F2A with a 6550 in a 5E3 cab?

I've also got a pair of JJ 7591S and a bunch of old stock 6EU7s, a couple of which are Mullards.

How about a 5E3 with 6EU7s and 7591s instead of the usual tubes?

Any other ideas for a smaller combo that's tweedy yet different? Already sussed out the Two-Stroke.

not too radical at all. it wont be a 5e3, but i'm sure it will sound good. i can imagine that the PI would limit the power output a fair bit as 6550's require a fair bit of signal to get them really going. maybe throw in a ltp, or even a triode on each half of the signal after the PI (12a(u/y)7 maybe. could always throw a post pi master volume (i'd use the one with a dual pot) to get the fuzzy sound of the 5e3 pi distorting at lower levels, or turn it up full to let the 6550's really get going and leave the pi clean.

or is that too radical?

Comment

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t5008/

Surprising what you can fit into the 5E3 cabinet

(whether cramming all that stuff in there is a good idea, is another question entirely... Many people seem to think the 5E3 is "the" tube amp)
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Yeah, I don't mind too much that it wouldn't really be a Deluxe, but I want to retain the tweed family sound/feel. I was thinking of starting with a Weber ProLuxe type affair, sub the 6550s for the 6L6s and convert to cathode bias. So, it would have a LTP PI.

Steve, the Ninja-Deluxe is too radical. You're insane! Awesome, but insane

Comment

Working...
        X