5e3 ON/OFF & Standby switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 ON/OFF & Standby switch?

Hey Bruce, I have my 5e3 all finished except for the on/off and standby switches. I'm a little bit puzzled as to how to hook these up. I have a MM power transformer ,Model FTDO tone clone. It has two black primary (input).
    Do you have a schmatic showing how to wire these switches? I already have the Fender 5e3 schematic but it does not have a SB switch,only a Ground switch.

Chuck.

5E3 standby switch

Typically the B+ wire is switched on & off.
    I have attached an AB165 schematic that shows how it is done.

Quote" I already have the Fender 5e3 schematic but it does not have a SB switch,only a Ground switch. "
    Technically the switch is on the neutral or return line.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chuckb View Post
      Hey Bruce, I have my 5e3 all finished except for the on/off and standby switches. I'm a little bit puzzled as to how to hook these up. I have a MM power transformer ,Model FTDO tone clone. It has two black primary (input).
      Do you have a schmatic showing how to wire these switches? I already have the Fender 5e3 schematic but it does not have a SB switch,only a Ground switch.

Chuck.
      Standby:
      Take a new SPST switch and mount it in the ground switch hole. Mount it so the toggle throws like the on off switch instead of sideways, which is the way the old ground switch toggle is thrown.
      Run a single wire from lug 8 of the rectifier tube socket to one of the lugs of the SPST. No other wire comes off lug 8.
      Run a single wire from the other lug of the SPST to the eyelet (on the board) of the positive end of the first main filter cap.
      Now, also run the center tap wire of the output tranny to the same eyelet.

On-Off:
      Run your power cord black wire up to the fuse holder's center lug. Run a small jumper from the side lug of the fuse holder to one of the on-off SPST lugs, now just pick one of the black wires from the PT and connect it to the other lug on the on-off switch.
      Take the final black wire from the power transformer and connect it to the white wire from the power cord. Insulate it.
      Solder a grounding lug on the green wire of the power cord and nut it down to one of the power tranny's mounting studs/screws.
      Make the green wire an inch or so longer then the black wire so it will be the very last one to pull out if the strain relief fails and power cord come out of the chassis.
      The chassis will be grounded this way to the bitter end and hopefully the broken black wire would touch the grounded chassis and blow the main wall outlet fuse or breaker before you get between the two and wake up in a puddle of pee.
      That's it.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Hey Bruce, Thanks,I just had her running and she sounds pretty good. I had it wired up pretty much the same way you've explained but I was getting no output.I forgot to put a star washer on the output transformer and it wasn't grounding properly. I did that and I got lots of output now. Thanks for the wiring info on the power and standby switches.. I do something as per the schematic and when things don't turn out the way they should ,I second guess myself.Always nice to know I can rely on you guys to help me out,I appreciate it.

Chuck.

Comment

Hey Bruce,
          I just did a check on my wiring of the Standby and the on/off switches against what you suggested. You said that the only wire on pin 8 of the rec tube was the one going to a lug on the standby. I have a yellow 5v winding wire going to pins 2 and 8. What I had done was I had the CT going to one of the lugs and a single wire going to positive side of the last main filter cap, I then had the CT from the output trans going from the pos side of the last filter cap to pin 8 . Is there something I'm missing?

Chuck

Comment

Hey Bruce, Finally got it sorted out.I did exactly what you told me and everything is fine this time.Thanks alot for everthing.

Chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckb View Post
              Hey Bruce, Finally got it sorted out.I did exactly what you told me and everything is fine this time.Thanks alot for everthing.

Chuck.
              Glad you got it figured out... because what I meant to say was;
              no other wire, except the actual filament wire and a new singular wire to the standby switch, should be coming off lug 8 of the rectifier socket.

Yes the MM output trannys with the self grounding wire can be a bummer if the output tranny channel mount is not securely grounded to the chassis with something like a star washer!
              Bruce

Mission Amps
              Denver, CO. 80022
              www.missionamps.com
              303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
              X