5F6A bass & middle pots ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5F6A bass & middle pots ?

I have some problems with the bass and mid pots on my 5F6A. The bass and mids are decreasing when the pots are turned up and increasing when turned down. Could I have the pots wired backwards? On the schematic it seems to show that maybe the bass and mid pots are inverted, as opposed to the treble and vol pots,could this be?

Chuck.

The Bass pot (really just wired as a rheostat, a variable resistor) wants maximum resistance for maximum bass. Schematics differ on how they show this. It's helpful to think of which terminal the center terminal is connected to when the pot's shaft is turned all the way clockwise. From the back of the pot with the terminals on top, this is the one on the right. Since you want maximum resistance when the pot is turned clockwise, that is the terminal you want no connection to. The same applies to the mid pot in most "Fender" schematics. Marshall schematics are a little different but the results about the same. If you have an ohm meter, clip it to a pot and see how the resistance changes as you rotate the shaft or just remove the back from an old pot to see how they work.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
    X