Can't be a new idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't be a new idea

I recently completed my first scratch build; a 5e3. I have some really nice "Woden" trannies from an old record player with a similar circuit (Push/pull 6v6, 5y3, 12ax7, 5751 etc.) and I would like to build another amp. Paraphrase phase inverter seems interesting.

Has anyone built or considered a champ 5f1 preamp feeding a 5d3 pi and power section? Would it work and sound good? Along those same lines, what about skipping v1 in a bandmaster 5e7, feeding the input jacks to v2 and then to the pi and power tubes of a 5d3? If these ideas would work, would they be about the same power as a tweed deluxe? Thanks for helping me learn!
    Last edited by gsr; 05-26-2010, 04:17 AM.

Any opinions appreciated. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Comment

"Paraphrase phase inverter seems interesting." Yes, they can be ...when they work. 5D3 is more foolproof than the 5C3 though. Rather than pick circuits because they look interesting, think more about the tone you are looking for...it's no accident that the huge majority of amps have cathodyne or LTPI.

"Has anyone built or considered a champ 5f1 preamp feeding a 5d3 pi and power section? Would it work and sound good?" What you are essentially describing is a 5D3 mic/normal channel withthe tone pot turned fully up...yes, it would "work" (make a noise)...sound good? more chance of that with an adjustable tone pot. Remember, that the 5F1 doesn't have a PI so I am assuming that you intend to have an input triode, a recovery triode, then the PI? If so, you will have a ton of gain, probably best to start with the stock 5D3.

Bandmaster idea - possible but you don't want to have the input feeding the cathode follower, if you wanted to build a 5D3 output section with a 5E7 type vol/tone stack, you can do this, but you will lose the cathode follower - V1a input triode, followed by vol control, followed by V2b, 5E7 tone stack feeds the PI. You will probably need to fine tune the value of the volume control by adding resistors in parallel between wiper & ground, as you will have a lot of gain compared to a 5E7 with a cathode follower.

They would be about the same power as a mid 50's tweed deluxe, the 5E3 has better headroom.

Comment

Working...
      X