Fender Tremolux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Tremolux

I did have the amp biased at 31mA and it sounded better. Then I got heaps of feedback that it was way to hot, so i backed it off to 22mA. And it has sounded thin ever since. I am biasing it using a 1R resistor over the cathode to ground. I am fairly confident that the 1R is actually '1R' on each cathode - The resistors are 1% metal film and I have used 2 x 2R in parallel for 'each' 1R resistor, to further reduce any possible variance from 1R. Furthermore each parallel set measures 1.6R on my meter, and when I cross the leads on my meter they measure 0.6R.

Need more information pertinent to the biasing please - different Tremoluxes run 6V6s or 6L6s depending on which era they were. What particular model of Tremolux are you talking about?
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

It doesn't necessarily hurt the amp to run it hotter. Correct me if I am wrong her, but my understanding is that as long as you aren't cooking anything in the amp the only downside is shorter tube life. Unless you are running some expensive NOS tubes, it shouldn't be a big deal to spend a few bucks for a new pair of power tubes every year or so.

If you do run it hot, you may want to use metal film resistors on the power tube sockets because they can handle it better.

Comment

Working...
      X