was wondering about the presence control on my 5e7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was wondering about the presence control on my 5e7

I was wondering how sensitive should the presence control be on my Mission 5E7. It seems to work ok. It rolls off the highs when turned down and seems to add some treble or grind when cranked to 12. Nothing drastic however. The reason I ask is, I was reading some other threads where some one was having some problems with their P control. Another very experienced builder stated his control had HUGE effect on the amp. So much so he left the feed back loop and disconted the presence control. I know my Mission varries from the stock circuit. Any thoughts on this.

Thanks john

The presence on my Mission 5F4 doesn't really seem to do much......maybe a BIT of edge added with all the way up.

Comment

i think you should disconnect the presence, ill bet youl like the amp alot more

Comment

I built a 5E5A, same circuit as the 5E7. The Prsence has a definite & noticeable effect, but it's not HUGE. Maybe the guy has very sensitive hearing to higher frequencies.

Just disconnecting the Presence is not going to make any more difference in the tone than leaving it set to zero. Disconnecting the negative feedback may have a cool effect, I haven't tried it on this amp.

Comment

Originally posted by hasserl View Post
          I built a 5E5A, same circuit as the 5E7. The Prsence has a definite & noticeable effect, but it's not HUGE. Maybe the guy has very sensitive hearing to higher frequencies.

Just disconnecting the Presence is not going to make any more difference in the tone than leaving it set to zero. Disconnecting the negative feedback may have a cool effect, I haven't tried it on this amp.

I have played with the Presence on several 5E7 builds and run into a lot of variables.

Lifting the connection at the speaker was the only solution on a couple of these. It seems to be related to the particular brand OT I used. I have a couple that squeal when treble and presence are both dimed. The presence range on both is very pronounced. The other unit I have uses an entirely different OT (Only Difference) and I was able to leave the feedback connection attached.

Weird Scenario.
          Trout

Comment

Working...
          X