Here is my finished 5E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is my finished 5E3

This is a Mission Amps 5E3 kit. I built the amp several years ago. At the time I had no wood working tools but was determined to build the cabinet myself.

For a first attempt I'm pretty happy with the end result.

I am happy to answer any questions. And for those considering building your own cabinet, I would consider it to be about the same skill level as building the 5E3 kit. IOW, if you can do one, you can do the other.

Here it is with bare tweed.

And here are some shots after the shellac.

Very impressive indeed!! It looks great!

Is the cabinet finger-joined? If so, did you do it with a router and jig, or just a jigsaw or suchlike?

Also, if you don't mind sharing, what dimensions did you use for precutting the tweed, and what did you use to adhere it to the cab?

Comment

Yes, I used finger joints for the cabinet. I built a micro adjustable finger joint jig for the table saw. The joints turned out perfect. It was almost a shame to cover 'em, but the tweed is just too pretty.

I practiced covering the cabinet with brown parcel/butchers paper. I used these pieces of paper as a general template for the sides. For the top an bottom pieces I just measured the cabinet.

I used Mojotone's water based contact cement. Worked great.

Comment

Very nice looking cabinet. Congrats!
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
        - Yogi Berra

Comment

Brilliant work! Bravo!

Did you shellac it or something after the third picture?

Comment

Thank you gentlemen.

The first three photos are of the tweed sans finish.

The remaining photos are after four applications of shellac.

First coat was clear shellac. Second and third coat was half amber, half clear. Final coat clear.

I put down an initial clear coat in case the tweed absorbed the shellac unevenly. Just gave me a little more control over the finish.

My brother has a Bassman RI, less than a year old, and the color of this cabinet is very, very close to his. However, I was also able to do a side by side comparison with with a Fender Custom Shop Deluxe and the Fender is a much lighter color. Likely closer to the unfinished tweed color.

Comment

Working...
            X