Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Bias pot to a 5F4 Super

Hello all, I'm new here!

This is going to sound silly, but after hours of staring I cannot figure out how to wire in a bias pot into the 5F4 Circuit. Any help would be much appreciated! I understand that it goes in place of the 56K resistor tied into the (-) of the selenium rectifier, I just don't know which of the legs go where on this pot. It's a 50K Bias Pot, one of the tiny ones.
    It has two legs on one side and one leg on the other side. Please help!

If your still looking for the how-to info go to HoffmanAmp site-EL34.com-...in the library section as I recall he has a step-by-step guide to redo a Princeton,Deluxe etc to adjustable.

I have stuck with resistors personally as they're cheap/reliable and easy enough to change since I'm doing the solder iron work anyway, and I rarely change tubes. Anyway the Hoffman info explains all you need.

Comment

Keep your multimeter and alligator leads handy, and wire it so that the resistance from the diode to ground is 50K when the pot is all the way "up", and much less when turned "down." If you get it backwards, it's no big deal as long as you (or the intended user) is rechecking things when making adjustments.

- Scott

Comment

I'm building a 5F4 using the Ceriatone layout. Take a look and see if it helps, as there is a bias pot in the circuit.

Ceriatone Amplification
        John

I need more practice, not more gear.

Comment

Replace the 56k bias resistor between the diode and bias cap ground with a 50k trim pot and 10k resistor in series. Works like a charm.

Comment

Working...
          X