Quick 5e3 Capacitor Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick 5e3 Capacitor Question...

I am going to start building a 5e3 shorty. I am collecting parts and just found some NOS caps I would like to use. they are .022 400v caps. the layout says the .022 cap should be rated at 600v. would the 400v be find or should i use a different cap?

thanks,
    david

I'll defer to the experts, but the coupling caps in a 5E3 shouldn't see more than 400 volts.

What kind of caps are these? I'd be concerned about leakage.

Comment

I use the 600+V ones for just about everything. Probably should never be a problem to use the 400s, but my philosophy has always been "lets put you on a treadmill and run you at 90% for (insert the length of a gig) and see how well you hold up. If you're in good health you'll be ok, but sooner or later...

Comment

Millions of amps have been made with 400V film caps in the preamp. Including all the BF Fenders that are still working fine today 46 years later. I do think the actual type and construction of the cap is relevant. Nothing wrong with new caps (I like Mallory 150's for Fender builds) and NOS caps IMHE don't really have any advantage unless they're the exact caps that are OEM for that amp. And even then it's only nostalgia. Some old caps, like paper in oil types, are more prone to failure with age which IMHO makes them less suitable. I wouldn't bother with NOS unless it was the exact OEM cap. And even then I would only do it if a customer requested it or I was selling the amp and thought it would improve the value as percieved by the general public. Not that I'm a snake oil salesman but a lot of what amp builders do is about giving 'em what they want. I admit to doing such things when I don't think it will detriment the integrity of the product.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The caps in question are military spec Russian k40y-9 PIO. I have them so I was going to use them, but I could always pick up some new ones too.

Comment

Using what you have is better than buying new if only because you don't need to wait or pay for parts. I'm not familiar with the caps in question but as long as they're film caps they should be fine.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

they are paper in oil similar to Sprague Vitamin Q.

thanks for the replies everyone!

Comment

Working...
              X