Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding vibrato to a 5f2a

hi guys.
    i'm adding vibrato to my 5f2a. i checked the vibrochamp schematics and they are
    the same, except the vibrato circuit of course, and a 10µf cap on the second triode cathode.
    that would give me about 25db of gain more and i don't like it.
    (my tonestack is different from the vibrochamp one, it's the one knob 5f2a one)
    my question is: is the vibrato going to work without it? (i'm not sure about)
    what can i do?

Hi pietro

I did a cathode-biased SE amp just now with bias-vary trem driving the output stage grids (via the output tube grid load resistor). Works okay once you get the depth knob to about 3/4 (I think not as sensitive as a fixed bias output stage would be, but possibly that's something to do with needing more trem voltage swing to overcome the effect of the cathode resistor current? - just guessing - don't know if that's any use)
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I think there was a thread on another forum not to long ago that was pretty similar. They had issues getting the trem right, and all it required was a bit more voltage. The 10uf cap shouldn't be required. That was on the Vibro-Champ to compensate for the high loss tone-stack. Let us know how it turns out!

Comment

Working...
      X