Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single channel deluxe build

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has built anything like the single channel 5E3 mentioned in this thread http://music-electronics-forum.com/t9657/ other than Bruce of course.

If so what kind of of results were you able to get with it and what component values would you suggest to achieve what you did get. Also if anyone could chime in and say what kind of tones can be achieved by what component values would be great.

Bruce if your out there and can remember anything suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Originally posted by ncusack View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has built anything like the single channel 5E3 mentioned in this thread http://music-electronics-forum.com/t9657/ other than Bruce of course.

If so what kind of of results were you able to get with it and what component values would you suggest to achieve what you did get. Also if anyone could chime in and say what kind of tones can be achieved by what component values would be great.

Bruce if your out there and can remember anything suggestions would be great.

Cheers
    I did. I tried changing the tone stack to the soul kicker design. Ultimately, I reverted it and went with another idea that was maybe loosely based on something he posted somewhere. You can read about it here: Tweed Deluxe Volume/Tone control mod - Telecaster Guitar Forum

I pretty much did a hard-wired jumper of the two channels. Just one set of input jacks. One volume control (the one tied to the tone knob) is tuned to be pretty bright. The other is tuned to be bassy. I like this because I can get a stock 5E3 tone and also some more sizzle.

All of the coupling caps throughout the amp are lowered from the stock .1mf. I tried .02 for all coupling caps but the amp lost some punch with those caps values. So I stepped them up. I think I used .047 for the last two or three. Then the .01 and .03 for the first two parallel stages.

Tried a bunch of other mods on various 5E3 builds, only to reverse them all. This is the only mod I made to the amp's circuitry have stuck with. (other than a resistor dummy load that I can switch in parallel with the speaker to quiet it down to 5F2-a levels when I want). THe amp is staying like this. For all of the other things I have built, this is still my favorite amp for most things.
    In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

My single channel 5E3 is like this: The first tube is a 12AX7. One side is connected to a pair of input jacks in the normal fashon. The second side is setup with grid leak bias and grounded cathode. The input capacitor of the grid leak side ties to the normal side grid. A One-Two-Both switch in one of the unused input jack holes selects the outputs of the first tube. 0.1uF blocking caps were used. The remaning jack hole is a preamp output that is fed from the select switch via a resistive attenuator. Next is a tweed-ish Volume-Tone network feeding the gain side of the second 12AX7 similar to a 5D2 Princeton. Between the gain stage and the concertina phase inverter is the Bass control in the attached schematic. Since the 5E3 is bass heavy to begin with, a control to simply cut the bass lets you dial in the right amount to match the guitar being used. The rest is not too far from a stock 5E3 with some changes to the power supply, screen resistors, 100uF bypass on the 6V6s.
      Attached Files
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Ok so all those look like good starting points for me. I think im going to try a Brownface tone stack and use the switching option suggested in bruces schematic. I whipped up a quick rendition for a starting point let me know what you guys think. I think things make sense there just let me know if im way off the mark.

Here is a link to the image

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/singlechannel5e3.png/

Comment

Working...
        X