Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princeton 5F2-A….finished at last

Hello everyone,

Many months ago I started building a Princeton 5F2-A and a number of forum members helped me out along the way - many thanks. After what feels like forever (and probably was) the amp was finished a few weeks ago and my son is now enjoying the fruits of my labours – here’s a few photos of the finished item.

It's essentially a 5F2-A circuit with solid state rectification, switchable negative feedback, bright/dark switch (changes cathode bypass cap on first stage) and a VVR

Click image for larger version

Name:	Princeton_4a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	863228Click image for larger version

Name:	Princeton_2a.jpg
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	863227Click image for larger version

Name:	Princeton_7a.jpg
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	863226Click image for larger version

Name:	Princeton_3a.jpg
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	863225

If only I could play guitar myself!

(Hope I've inserted the photos correctly; if I haven't, someone please let me know).

Mike H

That is beautiful! Good job!

Comment

Yes, you really fitted all those add-ons in there very neatly. The plaque is a very cool touch too.
      I am guessing, is the faceplate a one-off in laser engraved polished stainless steel?

Comment

Thanks for the compliments.

Originally posted by overtone View Post
        I am guessing, is the faceplate a one-off in laser engraved polished stainless steel?
        The faceplate was probably the most difficult part of the amp to make. It is most definitely a one-off (don't think I would go to so much trouble the next time). I designed it using Autocad and then supplied the drawing to an engineering company. They made the plate from 1.5mm thick brass plate, drilled all the holes, and engraved all the 'labels' using a computer driven engraving machine. It wasn't easy, even for them with all their equipment, as we had to experiment with different font styles to find one that would look good and engrave easily. After the plate was made I had it chromed, and then I filled the engraving with gloss black cellulose paint. The plaque on the rear of the amp was also made in the same way.

The whole amp is somewhat over-engineered. The chassis is a one-off which I made using 3mm thick aluminium, the potentiometers are mil-spec made by PEC, all toggle switches are Carling, and the Output Transformer is rated at 15 watts (which does improve the low-end tone). Filter capacitors are high quality F&T, resistors are either 1 or 2 watt (and higher for specific applications). Back panels and speaker baffle are all attached using stainless steel machine screws which locate in threaded inserts in the wooden cleats. The chassis and speaker are also attached with stainless machine screws. It has been built to outlive me.

Regards

Mike
        Last edited by MikeJH; 02-15-2011, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Mike , is this the amp you bought the 15watt SE transformer from me for, if so you really have taken you time with it, but it looks fab!! well done, love the faceplate and back panel, who did you use for the chrome plating in the uk?

Comment

Hi Mike,

Yes, this is the amp that is using the 15 watt transformer I got from you. You’re right in that it has taken a long time to complete, but erratic employment during the last 24 months has meant that I have had to be careful how and when I spent my money.

Just before finding your post on this thread I sent you an e-mail with a few photos of the amp – pleased you like the way it looks.

The chroming was done by a company a few miles from where I live. They did a pretty good job, but I think it could have been better; then again, I can be something of a perfectionist and expect too much.

Comment

That is pretty great! I love the simple elegance of it, spartan but well-crafted, with a flair toward some over-the-top custom touches. To me this sums up what a home-made amp should be. Hope it sounds like it looks!
              Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

It all looks good but the panel work is particularly stunning. It really makes the amp extra special.

Comment

Very nice indeed, looks like a real work of art!
                  I bet it sounds fantastic too.

Snowy.

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments everyone; it feels good when other people tell you they like your work . It sounds good too, and I think it will improve as the speaker continues to break in.

Now for the next project, and preferably something that won’t take quite so long to make.

Mike

Comment

Lovely lookin' amp. As for the next one, I'm looking forward to seeing that too.
                        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Yeah keep it up! I've been breaking in a speaker this week, I think mine just went into bloom... play it loud!
                          Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

nice build man, you are an artist...outlive you? it should outlive religion

Comment

Working...
                            X