New JJ 5Y3GT out in the wild...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New JJ 5Y3GT out in the wild...

Has anybody had a chance to try these yet to see how they stack up? Saw them listed in the 2010 AES catalog and it looks like they finally have some in.

I have NOT seen them but, why anyone would pay $15.00-$20.00 for an import 5Y3 rectifier tube, when you can buy a real, American made NOS 5Y3GTs for $5 more... well, it is just beyond my comprehension.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
      I have NOT seen them but, why anyone would pay $15.00-$20.00 for an import 5Y3 rectifier tube, when you can buy a real, American made NOS 5Y3GTs for $5 more... well, it is just beyond my comprehension.
      Well, I knuckled under and bought a couple of these JJ 5Y3S rectifier tubes a month and half ago.
      I've used them in a number of different amps now and even ran them pretty hard in a 6L6 amp too.
      Voltages compared to a few NOS 5Y3GTs was pretty darn close.
      So, if NOS is not your game or you find the price just too hard to swallow... the JJ5Y3S is at least, much better then the SOVTEK 5Y3GT... especially when compared to NOS.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Surprised to see this thread come up again! I still haven't actually had the need to pony up for any yet (still have some NOS). I know that JJ's have been hit/miss with some of their stuff... I do like their 6V6 mutants, so I'm glad to hear that the 5Y3's might be an option. :-)

Comment

Working...
        X