No announcement yet.

New to the forum: Ready to build a tweed deluxe from a kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suggest trying out an old 5Y3GT vs a new Sovtek. It should drop your B+ by about 20 volts, for a different sound.
    Last edited by Wittgenstein; 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM.
    My Builds:
    5E3 Deluxe Build
    5F1 Champ Build
    6G15 Reverb Unit Build

Comment

Originally posted by Wittgenstein View Post
      I suggest trying out an old 5Y3GT vs a new Sovtek. It should drop your B+ by about 20 volts, for a different sound.
      The Mission 5E3 kit comes with a real NOS 5Y3GT rectifier tube and a 12AY7EH, not two 12AX7s and a cheap Russian 5Y3.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

ordered one, thanks - will let you know. With the tube in how do I measure B+ voltage?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
          The Mission 5E3 kit comes with a real NOS 5Y3GT rectifier tube and a 12AY7EH, not two 12AX7s and a cheap Russian 5Y3.
          That's why I ordered one last week. can't wait to build.

Comment

Had a brief problem with some noise (nasty crackling sound) and the output dropping to half volume. I checked all the wiring and found a loose filament wire at the first input tube. Used the moment to wrap the filaments a bit tighter and resolderd and it fixed the problem. I do notice a slight buzzy sound (sounds more like a physical vibration than electronic). Checked the parts and can't yet find anything losse and rattle-able. The chassis seems firmly set with no looseness. The 2nd preamp tube is less tight in its socket than the first but its not "loose." I wonder if there is something that's a problem with the speaker but I would hope not - its a brand new Weber Blue Dog and I was extremely careful when I mounted it in the cabinet and the vibration has been around only since last night - I've been playing it about a week and have not yet had the volume over 3. I have ordered a Jensen speaker for my next mission amp build but it hasn't yet shipped so I can't use it to see if the problem goes away with a different speaker. TheBlue Dog certainly appears intact and seems built like a tank. What should I be checking for?

Comment

Great to see another new builder. !! Bruce will be ashamed at me b/c I have been working on this thing for a LOOOOOONG time. A bit here a bit there etc... (other projects and work in the way). I have been very satisfied with my Mission 5e3 kit and the support; however next build will be on a larger chassis. Sausage fingers indeed. Maybe a Tweed Twin on Marsahll size thing. Once again congrats on your build. WS. Be Well All.

Comment

Originally posted by Thurgood View Post
                Great to see another new builder. !! Bruce will be ashamed at me b/c I have been working on this thing for a LOOOOOONG time. A bit here a bit there etc... (other projects and work in the way). I have been very satisfied with my Mission 5e3 kit and the support; however next build will be on a larger chassis. Sausage fingers indeed. Maybe a Tweed Twin on Marsahll size thing. Once again congrats on your build. WS. Be Well All.
                Thurgood, I am very very satisfied with this build. It sounds better (to me) than my first build, although I am still tweaking the first amp and getting to know these amps. I had a momentary scare when she developd a very loud hum and then a lot of crackle. I discovered a cold solder at the output jack (ground pin) and repaired it with no improvement. Wrote Bruce to ask if I'd damaged the OT. However next day I went over the thing again and discovered that teh volume knobs controls were not working - had full volume no matter where I set the controls. I realized I had failed to group them - missed a couple of wires despite triple checking. I ran a wire from input jack ground to volume pot 1 ground and then on to volume pot 2 ground. Hum was gonbe! I also found two loose red wires at the output tube nearest the preamp side (pin 4). Its amazing how carefully we go and still find basic mistakes - in this case I simply resoldered the wires. The amp immediately sounded great, no hum and no rattle!! I love the amount of tonal control I get simply with my playing - it seems wonderfully responsive. I hope you get to finish yours, overall the build time is pretty short and its just a matter of stealing a few hours here or there. I used the July 4 weekend (Sat aftrenoon and Sunday, and then did my checking and rechecking on the Monday. Still missed some stuff - that seems to be the nature of the thing!

Good luck with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Monroe
                  Hey i am Monroe and i am new member here. After reading all the above comments i am sure that there are many friends who can help me out.
                  Hi "Monroe".
                  Loved your generic "one size fits all" phrase, which fits *any* Forum in the world, no matter what they are talking about.
                  Pity all you want is to post your (SPAM) link .
                  Pretty interesting, though.
                  Next time I want to sell my old cellphone in Lahore, Islamabad or Karachi will certainly use your services.
                  Do you think your kit to summon a Djinn will work here?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Djinn334.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	821148
                  I was told it was the next best solution if my (guaranteed original) Aladdin Lamp did not work.
                  I sure could use his help, considering some of the repair works I am often asked to do.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                    Hi "Monroe".
                    Loved your generic "one size fits all" phrase, which fits *any* Forum in the world, no matter what they are talking about.
                    Yep, he made the exact same post on a Peavey Classic 50 thread. Maybe I overreacted but I decided to ban the spam troll- and ordered the execution of his first born son.
                    The Blue Guitar
                    www.blueguitar.org
                    Some recordings:
                    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Wittgenstein View Post

how do you think it should affect the sound? Cleaner, less clean?

Comment

Working...
                      X