No announcement yet.

5E8-A Resistor lead length question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E8-A Resistor lead length question...

Hi All,

My first post on the forum, as have only just discovered it. I did a search and could find no answer to this, so apologies if it is one that has been answered a million times before.

I am building a 5E8-A circuit and am finding that in a couple of places the resistor leads are falling a little short on length getting between holes on the eyelet board. Can anyone recommend a supplier (UK-based preferably) of carbon composite resistors with an overall tip-tip length over 66mm??

I guess another way around this would be to extend the lead with a cutoff from another, but it just seems a little risky and would probably change the resistance by a couple of ohms.

Any thoughts greatly received!!!

Duncan

I assume you're talking about 1/2 watt resistors being too short. You could go for 1 watt types, which are usually longer (and bigger).
    You can get 'em here: http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/index.php/language/en
    Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Extending the resistor leads is not going to be a problem resistance wise, so that would probably be the easiest immediate solution. As far as carbon comp resistors with long leads, older ones more often than not had the longer length leads, so you could try looking for older stock on ebay, online stores, or wherever you prefer to shop. 1W carbon films might have the necessary lead length, however many modern ones are relatively short. Takman (manufacturer) makes "The Pink" (weird names, I know) carbon films with which the 1W version has pretty long leads (38mm each lead). They are marked as "audio use" or "audio grade", which I personally don't particulary buy into, but they do have long leads. The downside is that they are pretty expensive for a 1W carbon film resistor, and may be relatively harder to source (additional shipping, possible duties, etc.). Otherwise, maybe you could luck into some NOS carbon comp, but keep in mind tolerances are typically poor, and they can absorb moisture throug their bodies which can lead to noise, instability, etc. They can work okay but just keep in mind "vintage correct" parts can sometimes have detrimental or not particularly desirable characteristics.

Comment

Hi both,

Thanks for the speedy responses and good advice. I was trying to keep to the original 5e8-A spec wherever was realistic to do so, but hear what you are saying DH about carbon film possibly being a more reliable way to go, using 1W, rather than 1/2W spec for the lead length.

D

Comment

I have had that problem a couple of times and i keep a supply of eyelets and drill a hole and install an eyelet so the resistor i want to use is long enough. Sometimes i'll use a bare wire to go from the new eyelet to the original if i need to.

Comment

Before I started drilling out my own boards, I had this happen. Especially when there's a bypass cap involved. Well, in that case, I would mount the bypass cap and then tie the resistor directly onto the leads of the cap. Works great and you can get a very good solder connection there.

Comment

Working...
            X