5B3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5B3

I am getting ready to build a 5B3 clone using 6SL7 pre amp tubes instead of the 6SC7 tubes. Other than the
    difference in pin out is there anything that I will have to modify?

If you are using a different tube to the 6SC7, so why limit yourself to a choice of 6SL7 & possibly 6SN7? I'd use 9 pin twin triodes to allow more options.

Comment

I have built this amp using the 6SC7 tubes and like the way it turned out. The 6SC7 tubes are not currently in production but the 6SL7 is..As to the 9 pin tubes, guess there is just something about the octal preamp tubes that I really like.

Comment

For the vintage octal preamp sections I use the NOS 6SL7s instead of 6SC7GTs if called for (the glass envelope 6SC7GTs are getting real hard to find at a reasonable cost). The NOS 6SL7s sound great and our not grossly over priced... Russian 6SL7s?... well, not so sure about those. I don't think you'll need to do anything except wire the sockets correctly.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks Bruce. That is what I thought..I am going to start out with a new production Tung-Sol as V1 and a Sovtek as V2 and see what it sounds like. Looks like I can probably get the NOS 6SL7s for $20. If I don't get the sound then I will up grade to the NOS.

Comment

Originally posted by mac dillard View Post
            I am getting ready to build a 5B3 clone using 6SL7 pre amp tubes instead of the 6SC7 tubes. Other than the
            difference in pin out is there anything that I will have to modify?
            Nope, you should be able to use the same resistor/cap values in setting them up. If I didn't have any 6SC7's on hand, I would have used 6SL7's in my 5B3/5B5 build.

- Scott

Comment

Working...
            X