5e3 Tweed Deluxe speaker options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 Tweed Deluxe speaker options?

Hey guys, what's the standard speaker for a 57 Tweed Deluxe? Also what are some other speakers that compliment the amp as well? I'm trying to decide on which speaker would be better suited for this amp.

Chuck.

I believe a P12R was used on the earliest 5E3's, later switching to a P12Q. I've heard the P12Q sounds better. I have a 1956 5E3 that has a P12R in it and it sounds good. I've never tried a P12Q in it to compare. I would probably go with Weber speakers if I was going to be building a clone amp....

Greg

Comment

I put an Eminence Cannabis Rex in the Mojo 5E3 I built and it sounds fantastic. The new Jensen doesn't come close, to my way of listening.

Comment

I have been playing mine through a weber blue dog for about three or four years now. Sounds fantastic!
        In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

yeah, I'm thinking about going with the weber blue dog or the weber vintage series alnico 12a125a.

Chuck.

Comment

I have built two 5E3s in June and July. The first, a tubedepot build, has a weber alnico blue dog (50 watts) and the second, a mssion build, has a weber vintage series alnico 12a125a (20 watts). I find the 12a125a more responsive and less bassy, but I must confess I am still playing them in. I am told the blue dog takes a lot of playing in before it gets its best sound. I have switched speaker connections to see how much of the difference is in the amp build with similar results. I like the mssion sound better overall, it breaks up a little later. The 12a125a was half the price of the blue dog but I truly prefer it at this point.

Comment

Hey d.spree,
              yeah, I just ordered two 12a125a from weber. I did have a 12a125a installed in my 5e3 deluxe but put it in another 5e3 that i built for a friend of mine. I really did like that speaker in the 5e3. I have a G12H celestion greenback in there now but it's not the same as the weber though. I'm currently building a super tweed 5f4 and was wondering what would you suggest for 10" speakers for that? Maybe blue dogs, if they come in 10"? I've had alot of different style of amps ,matchless,bad cat, orange,mesa boogie,etc but I love the tweeds.

Charles.

Comment

Originally posted by d. spree View Post
                I have built two 5E3s in June and July. The first, a tubedepot build, has a weber alnico blue dog (50 watts) and the second, a mssion build, has a weber vintage series alnico 12a125a (20 watts). I find the 12a125a more responsive and less bassy, but I must confess I am still playing them in. I am told the blue dog takes a lot of playing in before it gets its best sound. I have switched speaker connections to see how much of the difference is in the amp build with similar results. I like the mssion sound better overall, it breaks up a little later. The 12a125a was half the price of the blue dog but I truly prefer it at this point.
                Funny, I bought a 12a150a at the same time as the blue dog. I liked em both together, but hated the 12a150a by itself. Ended up selling it. It just never sounded very musical to me. That was in the 5e3, and a 6g3.

Comment

I wonder how much it has to do with the guitar - I have a few guitars including some strats and a beautiful hand carved archtop with a single floating neck pickup. My everyday guitar is a gretsch electromatic 5120 - reputed to have a dark sound from the standard gretch humbuckers. This guitar when in the neck pckup position sounds very boomy and thick through the blue dog yet much clearer through the 12a120a. I have been told the 5e3s are not really built for humbuckers. Of course, I am still learning my way around the two 5e3s I bought as they are really instruments unto themselves.

By the way my strats sound great through both speakers.

Comment

Stock, a 5e3 won't be great for humbuckers. Change the coupling caps from .1 to .02 upfront and .047 for the last three. That'll fix you.

The blue dog will brighten it up a bit and produce some nice harmonic complexity. The it'll work for anything. I play bright single coils through mine as well as darker 335 type guitars through it, and it sounds great all around.

And you are right, the 5e3 is an instrument. Learn to play it and you'll become a better guitar player.

Comment

For 35 bucks, Weber Ceramic Magnet Sig12S with the ribbed cone is an excellent match for the 5e3.

Comment

+1 for the Weber Blue Dog, back to back, I cant hear the difference between that and a Celestion Blue, the Celestion makes a night / day difference between that and a new P12Q.

It makes the amp brighter, sharper, and more dynamic. The Jenson sounds darker and less refined.

Comment

Originally posted by cminor9 View Post
                          Stock, a 5e3 won't be great for humbuckers. Change the coupling caps from .1 to .02 upfront and .047 for the last three. That'll fix you.

The blue dog will brighten it up a bit and produce some nice harmonic complexity. The it'll work for anything. I play bright single coils through mine as well as darker 335 type guitars through it, and it sounds great all around.

And you are right, the 5e3 is an instrument. Learn to play it and you'll become a better guitar player.
                          This weekend I modded the first 5e3 I built - a tubedepot kit - I switched out the 22uF 1uF cathode bypass cap and installed a 4.7uF cap. I also switched out the 1uF coupling caps in te preamp section and installed .047uF caps here. The amp sounds very sweet now – lots of character without the boom – and I feel like I didn’t lose anything in terms of the 5E3 character. The second build is a mission and it doesn't have the sonic bass boom

Comment

Have any of you tried a WGS 12" Reaper? I have it running in two 5B3's and it sounds pretty good to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X