Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 Deluxe squeels when I touch the input jack

Hi guys,
    New to the forum. I just built a 5e3 and fired it up. Sounds fine. It distorts at about 1 on the volume. Not sure if this is right or not. But I'm having an even bigger problem. Normally an amp will hum 60 Hz when someone touches the tip of the guitar cable. However this amp makes a super high pitched squeel sound (ear pearcing high frequency around 12kHz or so). Any ideas what's wrong?

It also does this when the guitar is plugged in and the volume is up. It doesn't sound like a microphonic tube. Just a high pitched sound.

Make sure the jack is grounded properly.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it is grounded right. I checked that first. Anyways, I have a copper wire buss on back of the pots and the cathodes grounds connected to that buss near the gain stage they represent. The input stages cathode ground is connected near the jack on the buss. The buss goes to the ground on the jack as well. So I think it's grounded properly.

Comment

Ok Got it Figured Out

Originally posted by nicksorenson View Post
        I'm pretty sure it is grounded right. I checked that first. Anyways, I have a copper wire buss on back of the pots and the cathodes grounds connected to that buss near the gain stage they represent. The input stages cathode ground is connected near the jack on the buss. The buss goes to the ground on the jack as well. So I think it's grounded properly.
        Ok, I didn't realize something. I was comparing output trannies and had the ground not connected to the amp's ground.

Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
        X