Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5E3 - resistors choice - Kiwame, AB cc, RN65?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 - resistors choice - Kiwame, AB cc, RN65?

Hi,

this is my first post. I'd like to build a 5E3, it won't be my first amp, but very different from the SLO I've built.
    I love warm and fat tones, and I absolutely want to avoid an harsh sounding amp.

As for transformers I'm considering Classic Tone or Hammond Guitar series.
    F+T as filter caps and Sprague for smaller electrolytics.
    Other caps will be Sozo, or TAD mustard, anyway, something like that.

But as for lower wattage resistors I don't know what to order.

NOS Allen Bradley Carbon Composition - I can find them here in EU, they are'nt crazy expensive, they have the "mojo", but they'll bring the hiss too. And I don't think I want that. Is the hiss a problem only with 0,5w version? Using 1w AB CC resistors will keep the tone but less noise?

Kiwame 2w carbon film - quite expensive, but reading some reviews they seem to be the right choice for having the warmth of old resistors and less noise as newest ones. Some tried them in a 5E3?

Metal film. Generally they don't seem to be suggested in a 5E3, because they could sound harsh.
    But what about Dale RN65? Someone tried them?

Thanks.

Marco.

Since this is your first post I'll suggest that you use the search feature here. Tons of existing threads on resistor choice as it relates to tone and noise. In a recent thread it was accurately noted that noise is most critical in the first gain stage since it has the highest end amplification. The quietest resistors you can use would be wirewound. And then you can also increase the rating to further reduce thermal noise (hiss). If the mojo is important then use 2W wirewound for the input triodes plate resistors and the normal CC resistors for the rest. But do look around here for further info if your interested.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hi,

I've searched a lot during the past days, sorry for not finding the right infos I was looking for. But as for Kiwame and RN65 resistors I've found just a couple of threads, with not that much info.
      I'll continue searching.

Thanks.

Comment

If you search for RN70, you will find two threads of interest.
        -Mike

Comment

Working...
        X