5E3 Input Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 Input Question

Based on the following diagram and using iso. washers and switchcraft 12a jacks, do we still need to

ground each "G" tab (12 oclock position) to the chassis ? I assume so, I want to avoid any redundant connections,

it seems the 1M resistor leads are making most of the connections.........Thanks a bunch !

http://i26.tinypic.com/344wobn.jpg

Originally posted by crunchman View Post
    Based on the following diagram and using iso. washers and switchcraft 12a jacks, do we still need to

ground each "G" tab (12 oclock position) to the chassis ? I assume so, I want to avoid any redundant connections,

it seems the 1M resistor leads are making most of the connections.........Thanks a bunch !

http://i26.tinypic.com/344wobn.jpg
    Old Method: Just like an old Fender Amp
    Once the jacks are mounted to the chassis, they are grounded, and require no ground wires.
    Mount each jack with a tooth lock washer behind the front panel. A flat washer belongs on top of the front panel, under the nut.
    Tighten it good.
    Now all four jacks ARE grounded...

New Method:
    Fiber washers are used so each jack does not touch the chassis, OR plastic jacks, like CLIFF jacks.
    A Ground wire connects to the four jacks, then goes to the central preamp ground point,
    The same ("star") point that all preamp circuit grounds connect to.

Using the "star" method, connecting the preamp circuit grounds AND the jack ground to one point,
    you probably do get less noise, less HUM.
    BUT this is not needed in a normal Fender design amplifier. The traditional Fender design is pretty low gain.
    The HUM does not show up, and is not amplified to the point of distraction.

In amps with very high gain, the HUM will be amplified much more, the star method can reduce the hum,
    at least to a tolerable point.

And since you are not building a really high gain amplifier, grounding the jacks to the chassis is probably just fine.

Comment

OK, I'll make sure all the sleave or "a" tabs are grounded to the chassis....Thanks for the help SGM !!

Comment

Working...
      X