5F6A speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5F6A speakers

Thinking of getting 4 * weber 10A125 speakers for a new 5F6A.
    Looking for a buddy holly, rockabilly, country, blues sound.
    The 10A125 comes in 20W and 30W. I understand the 30W has a longer voice coil, but same gap energy.
    Am also considering the 10A100T, but probably not - not looking for too much (nice) distortion.
    Any opinions - in particular between the 20W vs 30W speakers?
    Thanks

I might get some flack here, but here goes. I have tried Jensen 10" 'neo' speakers in a couple of my amps. What a difference. My Super Reverb has a little more sparkle, and the bass/midrange seems a little more forward. But, what I really like is I can run the amp hard and not worry about blowing the speakers. They can handle 100 watts each. A bit overkill, but well worth the investment. CE Distributors have them. The 5f6a is a Bassman I think and is 40 watts. I have seen so many guys blow the stock speakers. The S/R is the same as the B/M only with reverb and tremolo. That's my 2 bits worth. Good luck on your choice.

Comment

I think the best deal going on an alnico 10" is the Eminence 1028k. I'm more a Celestion guy for 12's. But I put a quad of 1028k's in an open back cab for a custom build and just loved them. Iv'e heard this cab next to an actual BF Super Reverb and another similar cab loaded with Emi 1058's and I just think the 1028k's rule. At $67 US they're more affordable than most other choices too. Not a bad thing if you have to buy four of them!
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I have payed $68 each for the Jen 'neo' 10's. What gives me comfort is these speakers sound a bit better, (I like high-end sparkle) and I know I won't blow them. I like to play the amp hard, and that is where I get the best tone from the S/R. I consider an amplifier to be an instrument all of it's own as I do a guitar. Nothing sounds better than when a player, guitar, and an amp are functioning at its best. It was only a suggestion that I made as I know many players have blown those 10's out of stock S/R. Thanks for your opinion though, Chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by pbiagi View Post
          Thinking of getting 4 * weber 10A125 speakers for a new 5F6A.
          Looking for a buddy holly, rockabilly, country, blues sound.
          The 10A125 comes in 20W and 30W. I understand the 30W has a longer voice coil, but same gap energy.
          Am also considering the 10A100T, but probably not - not looking for too much (nice) distortion.
          Any opinions - in particular between the 20W vs 30W speakers?
          Thanks
          Why not contact Weber and ask them?
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
          - Yogi Berra

Comment

Hello JoeM. I have a couple Webers for my M/B Transatlantic. Your right, I didn't think of that. I think they are a bit more pricey, but they offer some higher wattage stuff that will work. Good suggestion.

Comment

When Ted was alive, I had e-mailed with questions and he always had some good ideas on which speakers worked well with certain amps, probably this knowledge has been passed down.
              "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
              - Yogi Berra

Comment

I built a 5F6A Weber kit with the 10A125 - 20 watt, 8-ohm speakers with light dope. I can't say how they compare to the 30 watt speakers, but the amp sounds great to my ears and everyone that's tried it. I haven't blown any speakers, but I'm not a gigging musician. You've got to crank it up fairly loud before you get any breakup. Even if you were to blow a speaker, Weber does recones for $25 on their speakers, and you could have them put in the 30 watt voice coil at that time. I doubt you'll blow up the 20 watt speakers because that's the speaker that Ted Weber recommended with the 5F6A.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                  For cost - I'm not looking for the best deal. Prices are close enough, and if not satisfied, changing out for something else will likely cost more long run, done that.
                  I have a Marshall with Celestion ceramic, has thump - I'm NOT looking for that sound here. Want a delicate sound - if that makes any sense - which I think means thin paper, small gap, and not high wattage.
                  JoeM, I did write Weber - they said both 20W & 30W will work but the 30w is fuller and have better bass control. (If that means more thump, then I don't want it.)
                  Diablo, I have a 12A125 in a 5E3 and love it - get compliments (on the amp) from guitar players everywhere I play it out.
                  Since there are few places I play where I could turn the bassman up much, I'm close to ordering the 10A125 20W and with no dope - let's hear the speaker.
                  Another thought is to get two of each - same speaker, 20W & 30W - but I'm thinking 20W should work great.
                  Appreciate your responses and advice!

Comment

It does sound like you want the 20-watters, and that you figured that out. I recently repaired an amp with a pair of old Jensen low-powered speakers in it (just barely enough for the job...), and your post above reminded me of that "delicate" sound you describe hearing in your head... Well, I heard it in this amp (sounded GREAT, BTW.). To achieve that, I agree with your assessment: low powered speakers, light paper.
                    Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

Working...
                    X