Heyboer 5E3 PT question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heyboer 5E3 PT question

Hey all, first post but been lurking for some time. Trying to complete a first build 5E3 in which I have a Heyboer PT and with little info available on the wring of these and maybe a different colored wire I need some info before I make my final connections. And please let me know if there is a better way.

First the tranny has a blue wire with red stripe and I'm thinking this isn't used, so I'll use some shrink tubing on the end and wrap it and tie it back and tuck it out of the way?
    I'm making my power cord connection, should my black PT wire go to my blue power cord wire? My brown power cord wire is connected to my one side of the fuze holder, the other lead from the other end of my fuse holder goes to my on/off switch.
    Then the last wire, white from the PT goes to the other side of my on/off switch?

Thanks
    Walt
    Attached Files

Walt,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I just noticed your post concerning your PT wiring.
    Were you able to sort it out or could you still use some assistance? Let me know and I'll do what I can to help.
    Sorry for the long response time.It is not typical on this forum.There are many fine techs here willing to help.
    Again, Welcome.

SG

Comment

My "assumption", based on the color (and by the way, color and function is a scary thing to assume)... is that the blue/red is a bias tap wire... about 32vac-40vac for a 6V6 power transformer.
      A 5E3 uses self biased power tubes so you would not use that wire for anything in this amp, if it is the bias voltage tap.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Hey Thanks to both, yes I haven't touched this since I posted it been pretty busy and have a 5F2H build going on too.
        Would like to wrap it up at take some voltage readings and get it going.
        Heyboer seems to not have much available info on their trannies, which I didn't know when I ordered them.
        Bruce yes assumption has burned me in the past, thats why I'm posting.
        Between the Weber trannies and this link was my basis for the hookup.
        http://www.tentlabs.com/InfoSupport/...ingcolours.pdf

Any help would me much appreciated, if more info on my end or photos let me know

Comment

Walt,
          The power cord you are using has a color designation as follows: yellow/green stripe=ground, blue=neutral, brown=hot

I see some problems with the way you described hooking up your power transformer.

Here is the modern "code-correct" way:
          yellow/green stripe connects to chassis
          blue connects to white PT primary wire
          brown connects to tip of fuse holder
          jumper from fuse holder sleeve to one side of on/off switch
          connect black PT primary wire to other side of on/off switch

Be advised that this is not the way Fender wired them in the vintage amps but rather a method that meets current electrical safety standards.

SG
          Last edited by sgelectric; 08-18-2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks SG, I'll finish her up the way you recommended.
            I was looking at the Weber layout the way I was going to do it.
            Hopefully I can do that this week and get some voltage readings.

Comment

Originally posted by waltsblues View Post
              Thanks SG, I'll finish her up the way you recommended.
              I was looking at the Weber layout the way I was going to do it.
              Hopefully I can do that this week and get some voltage readings.
              Yeah I think SG is 100% Right. With respect to using a power cord with a brown, blue and green/yellow.
              If using an average found North American style power cord (not IEC)... it would be Black, White, Green and the white wire is neutral, black goes to the center lug of the fuse holder, green is chassis ground.
              Bruce

Mission Amps
              Denver, CO. 80022
              www.missionamps.com
              303-955-2412

Comment

Working...
              X