No announcement yet.

HELP! - 5E3 Tweed Deluxe making a god awful noise! No clue how to troubleshoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! - 5E3 Tweed Deluxe making a god awful noise! No clue how to troubleshoot

Out of the blue my 5E3 Tweed Deluxe starting making a painful noise when hitting the low E string at frets 3, 4, 5. I have no idea where to even begin to troubleshoot this problem. I'me thinking of just removing my 6th string and turning it into a Keith Richards "Open G" special

Here is a short youtube clip.

some amp specs

5E3 tweed deluxe cab

Mercury power transformer
    Mercury output transformer

12" Celestion greenback in separate cab

VVR by Hall Amplification VVR is a method for controlling the power supply voltages within a valve amplifier. By controlling the voltage, you can control the amplifier's power output. VVR provides a continuously controllable voltage, and you can rotate a knob to get as much or as little power output as you like.

Mission Amps - Volume Mod - Both volume controls now work like normal. They are no longer interactive. A smooth volume increase from 0 thru 12 on both channels. Tone control works like it should and is smooth and responsive. Amplifier tone, by my ears anyway, is not compromised. My amp tone sounds the same as before the mod.

Has anybody ever experienced their amp making this awful noise?

It started out of the blue and its really frustrating.

maybe i'll just turn my strat into a Keith Richards 5 string open G special

HELP....
    Last edited by tboy; 02-28-2013, 01:27 AM. Reason: combined two posts

Plug it into a different speaker.
    It's weird, because it WAS working fine.....

Comment

Still sounds like a parasitic oscillation to me...
      I think I mentioned previously that sometimes a bad rectifier tube makes this noise when it seems to leak raw AC to the main filter caps.... I know it sounds stupid.
      I have very little experience with the VVR mod so I'm not going to be much good on that one.

But, first try moving the two wires from the .1uF coupling caps to the volume pots from in front of, to around and back under the four input jacks.
      Also, although I have not had this problem, you might have to use a shielded cable from the TV mod mixer resistors to lug 2 of the 12AX7.
      Last edited by Bruce / Mission Amps; 02-28-2013, 05:01 AM. Reason: added a comment
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

Notice the part, "out of the blue". Wouldn't parasitics and such have been the case all along with no changes? I think swapping speaker and rectifier/output tubes is a good place to start. Rule out these things and then think about wiring issues, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
          Still sounds like a parasitic oscillation to me...
          I think I mentioned previously that sometimes a bad rectifier tube makes this noise when it seems to leak raw AC to the main filter caps.... I know it sounds stupid.
          I have very little experience with the VVR mod so I'm not going to be much good on that one.

But, first try moving the two wires from the .1uF coupling caps to the volume pots from in front of, to around and back under the four input jacks.
          Also, although I have not had this problem, you might have to use a shielded cable from the TV mod mixer resistors to lug 2 of the 12AX7.

Thanks so much for all the helpful info. I am an absolute Noob so any input is mucho appreciated! I had a few minutes to begin troubleshooting.

BTW, the amp and speaker are in sep cabinets.

I also just realized that the amp has been sitting directly on top of the speaker cab the entire time and that maybe it would be a good idea to move the amp head away from direct speaker cabinet contact to dampen additional vibration caused from the speaker cab. (Yeah... I know.... i'm a dumb ass). When I plugged the guitar into the amp head (now on the floor) there was absolutely no awful static noise when I hit the low E. It was.......gone!

Would I be correct in assuming that I most likely have a loose or cold solder connection since the static noise is brought on by the vibrating speaker cabinet?

I was thinking about putting the amp head back on the speaker cab and using my looper pedal to re-create the wonderful static noise while I probe my connections with some chopsticks. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

thanks again for the help....Bret

Comment

Yes, I think a loose solder joint would do that, especially as pointed out, it just "started out of the blue"... that could mean a cold solder (or no solder) has become un-mechanically connected too.
            Bruce

Mission Amps
            Denver, CO. 80022
            www.missionamps.com
            303-955-2412

Comment

check the input jacks, I had a noise just like that in my amp once, and it was input jack related

Comment

Ball up your fist and whack the top of the amp. If it makes a noise, it has a loose connection inside, or an overly sensitive tube.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  Ball up your fist and whack the top of the amp. If it makes a noise, it has a loose connection inside, or an overly sensitive tube.
                  Ha! My favorite first line of offense!

Comment

If you are squeamish, that is what rubber mallets are for.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                      If you are squeamish, that is what rubber mallets are for.
                      Now that is funny!

Comment

Working...
                      X