Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first build has begun. - 5F2a from scratch

Holes in the box so far.
    That's a bare Dolby A noise reduction card (cut in half) that I'm going to use as a circuit board.
    Attached Files

I hope that's not the output transformer you were thinking of using. That one would be appropriate for a push-pull amp.

Comment

Well shit, I guess that's what you get when you buy a box full of parts and don't know what the hell you're doing...
      Thanks for the help:
      So this one is the way to go?
      40-18031

Comment

Sure you can use that one, but the Hammond would work too. Just connect the Brown wire on the primary to the B+ and the Blue to the plate and tape off the Red. Just because it was made for a Push Pull circuit doesn't mean you cant use it as a Single tube type by connecting it right.
        Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

That'll "work" but it's less than ideal. Of course I don't know how much idealizing went into the construction of the actual transformers used anyway. Aren't single ended transformer suppose to be built with a break in the lamination hoop?
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I think that is in inductor cores. 8k ohms for a SE 6V6 is what they use I thought. Anyway, if jmardy has already got the part, he should hook it up and hear how it sounds, then buy another if it's not up to the job.

Comment

SE amps usually have a "gapped" output transformer, so I think while this one might work... it's less than ideal. The other tranny you have a link to would be great (very flexible with output tube options and beefy)! 40-18031

Comment

Thanks guys.
                The Classictone 40-18031 is on its way.

Comment

Well... I know you've already drilled and punched some things, but what are the PT specs? A chassis should be about as affordable as a transformer. You may be able to change your plan to a push/pull design. At the very least you have a decent OT there for a Deluxe or 18W type of build for another project.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

OK, I found this thread on PP vs SE....never that knew about the SE tranny. http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15200/

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      Well... I know you've already drilled and punched some things, but what are the PT specs? A chassis should be about as affordable as a transformer. You may be able to change your plan to a push/pull design. At the very least you have a decent OT there for a Deluxe or 18W type of build for another project.
                      PT is an Allied 6K3VG
                      Allied - 6K3VG - Power Products - Transformers - Allied Electronics
                      650VCT @40DCMA, 5V@2A, 6.3A@2.0A,

Yeah, if this goes well, I'll do something bigger next.

Fortunately the Classictone is the same size as the Hammond.

Comment

Originally posted by guitician View Post
                        OK, I found this thread on PP vs SE....never that knew about the SE tranny. http://music-electronics-forum.com/t15200/
                        I have Sooooo much to learn...

Comment

Did you see the last post by MWJB? I have a Hammond 125A that is a small 3 watt PP transformer and recently used it as a 6aq5 SE and it functioned OK. It has a funky kind of tone, like a small old harp amp may get. I guess it's that saturation happening.

Comment

Originally posted by jmardy View Post
                            PT is an Allied 6K3VG
                            Well that IS too small for the normal small bottle tubes (6V6/EL84). You could do a push pull 6AK6 amp for about five watts. Just a thinking exercise really since it seems you've already ordered your proper OT for this project.

One nice thing about having the extra OT on hand is that it'll burn a hole in your brain until you build another amp

Comment

Well, I'm 0 for 2 then.
                              eBay and ignorance can be an expensive combination...

Comment

Working...
                              X