Harvard 5F10 pre-build questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard 5F10 pre-build questions

I'm going to attempt a 5F10 for my next build.
    I've sorted out my transformers after talking to the good folks at Amp Parts Direct (Classictone 18027PT and 18045 OT) and was wondering if anyone has any 'modern' layouts worth looking at?
    I'm curious what people are doing in place of the selenium rectifier?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Jonny toetags; 12-30-2014, 05:24 PM.

Originally posted by Jonny toetags View Post
    ...I'm curious what people are doing in place of the selenium rectifier?...
    You will be fine if you just use a 1N400* series diode as the bias circuit rectifier. To get the correct operating point you will need to adjust the resistors in the bias supply anyway. Better yet, use an adjustable bias circuit. You could just copy the bias circuit from another Fender amp such as a BF Deluxe.

Comment

I thought the 5F10 used a 5Y3GT rectifier, cathode biased.
      Attached Files

Comment

The 5f10 is PP, fixed bias. The 6g10 is SE cathode biased. Fender demoted the Harvard and elevated the Princeton...

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

1N4003 or higher will suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
            You will be fine if you just use a 1N400* series diode as the bias circuit rectifier. To get the correct operating point you will need to adjust the resistors in the bias supply anyway. Better yet, use an adjustable bias circuit. You could just copy the bias circuit from another Fender amp such as a BF Deluxe.
            I'm guessing wire it similar to the one in this thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny toetags View Post
              I'm guessing wire it similar to the one in this thread
              Yes. The adjustable bias implementation shown in that thread should work fine. Or the bias adjustment pot could be mounted in a hole in the chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
                The 5f10 is PP, fixed bias. The 6g10 is SE cathode biased. Fender demoted the Harvard and elevated the Princeton...

Justin

Put in a switch & make it both.

Comment

Working...
                X