Beefier transformers for 5F3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beefier transformers for 5F3

Question. Deciding to build a 5E3. If I decide to supersize in the future and bump it up to the 25-45W range of amp, is there a PT and OT I can buy now that will work in both realms? Obviously those are the pricier parts and I'd rather pay a little more now, and not have to upgrade later.

What are the drawbacks to that?
    Last edited by ricach; 08-14-2007, 01:31 PM. Reason: Correction

the tone on the smaller output will probably be quite sterile from what ive read. 5e3 is a tweed princeton? being single ended you will have to use a single ended transformer, and a single ended amp with 25-45 watt output would also be difficult in a sense, but someone else who knows more than the little i know will probably explain. you would want a push/pull amp for that output range.

Comment

shows how much i didnt know just a short time ago, not that i know alot now, but i know that i was quite incorrect in guessing it was a princeton.

Comment

It is not a SE Princeton.
        The 5E3 is a 10-12 watt, push pull, high current idling class AB amp using a pair of 6V6s with cathode biasing.
        There are trannys made that will allow you to run a pair of 6L6s.
        I've used the Dave Allen high current Deluxe Reverb PT and my Heyboer tweed Super output tranny in 6L6 versions of the 5E3.
        It will make about 20-22 watts very clean and close to 38 watts cranked to the hilt.
        What you'll end up with is an amp that is similar to a tweed Pro, a 5E5, but with a slightly different phase inverter and a 12" speaker, instead of the Pro's 15" ... and the whole thing will be built in a smaller 5E3 cabinet, of course.
        Drawbacks:
        None except, although it will still sound great, it won't sound like a tweed Deluxe.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Super. Thanks Bruce, that was the kind of answer I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
          X