Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18W transformers for a 5E3

Hello!

I plan to build a 5E3 and as I have a Marshall 18W clone which I don`t use much, so is it possible to use the PT and OT for a 5E3?

Thanks!

Yes. Your primary impedance on the OT may be higher than a stock 5E3 but it should be fine. Also, unless your PT has a 5v supply you you would need to add a transformer if you plan on using the standard 5Y3 rectifier tube.

Why not just rewire the preamp of the 18 watt to match a 5E3? Like a 5E3 with EL84 power tubes.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      Yes. Your primary impedance on the OT may be higher than a stock 5E3 but it should be fine. Also, unless your PT has a 5v supply you you would need to add a transformer if you plan on using the standard 5Y3 rectifier tube.

Why not just rewire the preamp of the 18 watt to match a 5E3? Like a 5E3 with EL84 power tubes.
      Chuck

Yep, without touching the PI, you must get close to a 5G9

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/tr..._5g9_schem.gif

Or even closer to a 6G9

http://www.schematicheaven.com/fende...x_6g9_d-fa.pdf

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Actually my PT has a 5V tap as well.But yes,I could try it with EL84`s at first.How will it sound?

How far I should go with 5E3 preamp - until volume pots,first half of V2 or the whole V2 and PI circuit?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kolumbus View Post
          Thanks for the replies!

Actually my PT has a 5V tap as well.But yes,I could try it with EL84`s at first.How will it sound?

How far I should go with 5E3 preamp - until volume pots,first half of V2 or the whole V2 and PI circuit?

Thanks!
          I would go up to the PI, but leave the PI alone.

Comment

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I almost started the build,but found out that I don`t have the 12AY7 tube,which is ordered and on the way now.
            The amp I want to rebuild is a one channel 18W TMB(3X12AX7 incl. PI) ,using the PI tube also for NFB. So I will leave the PI tube as it is (with NFB) and use the one half of V2 for the 2nd gain stage. So here I have a problem - what to do with the second half the V2? Should I leave the unused pins just unsoldered?

There is also a 22uF/450v filter cap in B+ circuit between V2 and PI tubes.Should I leave or remove it?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X