Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume

Good evening

What to do with the volume on my new build 5e3. On 1.5 - 2 it is so loud, and from 2 to max it dident get so must louder it only sound more cranked. What to do to make respons differently I like the feel when I have to dial more on the vol?

Recards

Reimer

Reimer,
    The first thing I would try is a different volume Pot. If you are currently using a linear taper pot then switching to an audio taper pot will help a lot.
    Can you tell us what type of pot you used for the volume control? Do both channels respond the same way?
    Regards,
    Tom

Comment

Actually, that's just the nature of the beast, that's how they work.

Bruce Collins at Mission Amps has a kit to change the volume circuit to give yu more gradual control over the range of the volume pot. It works well, really smooths out the response.

But personally, I like them like Leo made them. With a 5E3 I expect it to get dirty, fast; and they do. I find I can control it quite well with the guitars volume. Works for me. But if you want a little more control check with Bruce, he can fix you up.

Comment

I use standard 1meg audio pot´s like they did in old days.

There must be a solution too it, bruce can not be the only guy on this forum that know´s how to control the volume on an old school 5e3 amp. Come on guy´s we have hundreds of builders here and only bruce can tell

Rock on

Reimer

Comment

take a look at some of the early post-tweed circuits.....they manage it quite well.

Comment

Perhaps you could add a post PI master volume, something simple like the one on the matchless Spitfire?
            http://www.firebottle.com/ampage/schems/spitfire.gif

Comment

Working...
            X