Tweed cabs- the baffle mount/ facia Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweed cabs- the baffle mount/ facia Q

Hi again. I can see a 5E3 or tweed champ 5E1 for eg has the baffle fixed to the protruding ~1" facia panels with 4 screws:

does anyone know A: what guage ply these facia panels are correctly made from? to me these panels look critical to baffle structure, and ~1" of 9mm ply seems too flimsy on paper..

and B: how these panels are properly, or as the original, fitted to the 3/4" cab pine panels? again to me the baffle structure seems importantly to rely on A and B being exactly right.

thanks all (btw the ampwares page is vg, but actual construction links no worky). Capt

Captain,
    This may clear things up a bit.. A pic is worth a thousand words they say.
    I resaw a piece of pine down to 1/2" thick and cut an angled dado into the front of the cab.
    The angle matches the slope of the front. Glued and secured by a few brad nails shot into it. Plenty strong.
    Sometimes I'm good, then I'm bad..
    http://www.evacuatedelectronics.com

Comment

Thanks thats clear as a bell now. Good job alround there. Your 1/2" thickness looks extra strong: I was wondering do you know the exact thickness of these two on a 'real' 5E3, or fender tweed types? I'm guessing 1/4"? (there's reason I need this thinner than 1/2" but won't go into why here). Again this thickness critical to structure..

gratias chicos. capt

Comment

If you needed it to be thinner, you could go with 3/8" or 5/16", especially if it's thin ply birch or another hardwood ply. I think it would be definitely strong enough to hold a speaker with an AlNiCo mag, or a smaller ceramic. I certainly wouldn't try to hang an EV or a black widow on there and bounce it around. but I bet it would still hold up.
        Sometimes I'm good, then I'm bad..
        http://www.evacuatedelectronics.com

Comment

Panel Thickness

The old tweeds used 3 ply 1/4" for front panels and back panels
          WT

Comment

Working...
          X