Reverb for 5E3 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb for 5E3 build

Hi, I am interested in adding reverb to my 5E3 home build amp. Would you recommend an effects pedal or should I be more brave and build a seperate reverb unit? How complex are these to build?

i would go with the pedal. those reverb units are like building a complete amp without the speaker. if you want reverb use the money and build any of the ab763 fenders, deluxe, super reverb, twinn etc.

Comment

Originally posted by markammon1979 View Post
      Hi, I am interested in adding reverb to my 5E3 home build amp. Would you recommend an effects pedal or should I be more brave and build a seperate reverb unit? How complex are these to build?
      I use a Line 6, Verbzilla pedal and it is SUPERB... plus it doesn't cost as much as it would to rebuild a 5E3 and go through all the brain damage to make it work without drastically altering the stock tone of a 5E3.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

I like the Fender outboard Reverb Units although I find that I use a lot less reverb with my 5E3 build than I do with my blackface Fenders.

I have an original Fender Reverb Unit and I recently built a Weber Revibe which has the same reverb circuit with the addition of tube vibrato. Here is a clip of the Revibe unit run through my 5E3 clone. It starts with reverb and vibrato, then has reverb alone, and ends with the amp by itself.
        http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6465945

I think that the Reverb Unit alone would be relatively easy to build but the Revibe was a PITA.

Comment

Just picked-up a Verbzilla last week to replace a VERY noisy HolyGrail......some interesting tones in it, but still playing with the settings.

Comment

Originally posted by markammon1979 View Post
            Hi, I am interested in adding reverb to my 5E3 home build amp. should I be more brave and build a seperate reverb unit?
            Well somebody called psychonoodler sent me this a month or so back - food for thought. Not sure how well the one-tube 'verb would work
            Attached Files
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
              Well somebody called psychonoodler sent me this a month or so back - food for thought. Not sure how well the one-tube 'verb would work
              One tube will work OK... you'll never get that black face reverb in a 5E3 though...
              However, if you look at this mod it actually requires three preamp tubes.
              Bruce

Mission Amps
              Denver, CO. 80022
              www.missionamps.com
              303-955-2412

Comment

i guess the best way is just putting a 6g15 Reverb unit in front of the Deluxe.
                Watch mi BLOG with DIY Tube amps and boutique effects: www.richon-caster.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
                  I just looked at that schematic again and the reverb dwell pot is wired wrong.
                  The first triode of the tank driver tube has no ground reference for the grid so there is no bias.... why? Because the 500pF to 1nF cap is connected to the grid blocking any DC path to ground.
                  It should be on the top lug of the dwell pot instead.
                  Bruce

Mission Amps
                  Denver, CO. 80022
                  www.missionamps.com
                  303-955-2412

Comment

5E3 reverb

While it has a different tone stack, this has some similarities to a 5E3. I acknowledge that there are other features and components which are different also.

I have revised how I insert the reverb and now prefer this method. Using a Princeton Reverb as the standard (set on 2.5) ...... I get a similar (but not as intense) setting this at 4-5 which is all the reverb I prefer. It isn't Dick Dale but does have a warm tone to it, IMO.

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...urrent=CBS.gif

Bruce is correct! The .001 cap should be on the top (not wiper) of the dwell pot.

With respect, Tubenit
                    Last edited by Tubenit; 05-20-2008, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                      I just looked at that schematic again and the reverb dwell pot is wired wrong.
                      The first triode of the tank driver tube has no ground reference for the grid so there is no bias.... why? Because the 500pF to 1nF cap is connected to the grid blocking any DC path to ground.
                      It should be on the top lug of the dwell pot instead.
                      Good spotting :-0 Thanks for that info Bruce
                      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
                      X