5f4 blowing pilot lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5f4 blowing pilot lights

im getting 6.6 volts at the pilot light, keeps blowing the 6.3v bulbs. is there a 7 or 8 volt bulb? or should i switch to the 5v rectifier supply? i used the fender type lamp holder.

An 1888 is a 7v lamp, but why not take the wire off one side of the lamp socket, parallel a couple 1N400x facing opposite ways, and add the diodes in series with the lamp? That would drop half a volt from your AC. Or for that matter just one 1N4007, the lamp would not care that it was DC and would run even cooler.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

hi enzo, i put in a 1N4007, that brought it down to 3.46 volts. thats probably not going to be very bright. should i takr it out and just use the 7 volt bulb? if i can find one that is.

Comment

I thought he said to try a pair of diodes side by side, but oriented so that the +ve end of one was facing the tail of the other, and vice versa, and put the whole caboodle in series with one side of the pilot light. (Sorry for butting in but I am interested to hear the outcome :-)
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Yes, the trying one diode alone was an afterthought, the idea was to add two diodes pointing opposite so it passes both sides of the AC, but nips out the half volt. Seriously, tack the other diode across the first, but pointing opposite direction.

it is a classic method to drop voltage.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
          X