5f4 blowing fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5f4 blowing fuses

the amp comes on ok. i turn off the amp, when i hook my meter up to check plate voltage it blows the fuse as soon as i turn the amp back on. i took the power tubes out and i can check voltages without blowing the fuse. are the tubes shot? when the amp came in it was working but the tubes were way out of bias.

You sure the meter is not set up for CURRENT instead of voltage? The voltmeter set for volts should act like it was a 10Meg resistor, which is to say it pretty much won't affect things.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

hi enzo, with my meter you have to move the negative lead to another hole for testing amps.

Comment

I try never to assume anything.

I can't imagine. The tubes in the sockets shouldn't matter, unless in inserting them the pins move enough for them to touch something.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I don't really know, but it might act that way if the amp started oscillating when you probed the plates. Put a scope on it to look for oscillation. Or try shorting the grid leak resistors to kill any possibility of oscillation.
          Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

When the amp is cold are you able to probe and take readings. Are you saying when you do a warm restart, the fuse blows? Can you see arching inside the tubes? Have you a few good tubes to swap? Fuse correct size, slow or fast blow?

Gary

Comment

I would think that even power oscillating for all it was worth, it wouldn't pop the fuse instantly.

Comment

Working...
              X