Fiberboard mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberboard mounting

Ok, it's time for another newbie (noob?) question: I have a nice 5F6A fiberboard and insulator, but I'm not sure of the recommended way to mount the board to the chassis. I imagine spacers are used between the chassis and the insulator board. What about between the insulator and the circuit board - spacers there, too? And do I have to drill my own mounting holes in the chassis? It seems that none of the pre-drilled holes match up.

Progress note on my Bassman replica: I have most of the parts loaded on the fiberboard; I have all my filter caps loaded on their own board; I have a commercial chassis from Hoffman; Have sockets; All pots and jacks mounted on brass plate with some wiring; No tubes yet; No trannies yet (see another post about which iron to buy); No cabinet yet. Needless to say, I have a ways to go.

Larry

You don't need any spacers between the insulator board & chassis, nor between insulator board & circuit board.

"I have most of the parts loaded on the fiberboard" - Aaaah, I would have tackled the mounting hole problem BEFORE loading up the board, it's the first thing I do. You'll probably want to use the holes in the circuit board as your datum now. Transfer circuit board holes to the insulator board & drill thru, then dry mount the insulator on the chassis & drill new holes in the chassis if necessary.

Hopefully this will save you drilling thru the circuit board from the chassis side & possibly taking out a component? Though, working from chassis holes forward is the way that I would have gone, you could still do this if you have spare components/don't mind a bit of remounting if necessary?

Double check that board mounting screws do not short against ANY wires, even ground wires, on either side of the crcuit board.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Luckily, the components are not yet soldered to the board. I can pull them out easily and then follow your instructions. But... there seem to be a lot of holes in the chassis already, but all I have to mount yet is the PT, OT, and choke. The tranny holes are obvious, but I'm not sure where the choke gets mounted. I also have the holes for the cap cover accounted for. I just want to make sure any holes I drill for the board don't conflict with some other part that has yet to be mounted. I know, I'm too cautious. However, since I might sell this amp, I don't want a hack job.

Larry

Comment

Well, I just looked at the chassis again and all holes are accounted for. That's a good thing. However, the board slightly overlaps the mounting holes for the OT and cap pan, so I'm thinking maybe a small spacer to lift the board up a tad to clear the nuts. And how many mounting holes should I drill? 2, 3 (2 ends plus middle in a line), or 4?

Comment

Working...
        X